JC,
I liked your Article! It brought up some good points.
Was I the only one that went to the Portland Flyfishing Show? If so, I find that sort of strange!
Sure I didn't want to pay for parking and the admission and sure there was the Model Railroad Show and the Roadster Show at the Expo Center, that I could have gone to instead.
Because the Flyfishing Show was SUPPOSED to be a Meeting Place with MM, that is where I went.
The first 1.5 hrs I was intent on finding my friend.
The second 1.5 hrs was spent talking to people.
I have to admit that 3 hrs was not enough time to learn anything from the Tyers or the Guest Casters.
I felt very distracted! should I spend more time talking to friends, fly tyers, vendors, sitting and resting?
I wish my brain could handle a lot of info at the same time. That's why I wasn't cut out to be a Secretary.
Because I was looking for MM, I looked at quite a few men in the 50-70 yr old range.
That is scary! Where were the younger guys?
The best times of my life were taking my precious Son fishing. I thought about taking him to the Show, but thought better of it, because Joe works very hard 6 days a week and I knew he was tired. Besides, the Show was something I needed to do for myself.
It hurts to say this, but this isn't the same world I grew up in! The amount of RELAX time has to be less for (hard working) young people now. My Son works very hard and he is consisitent. Does Joe and other young people have to sacrifice vacations and fishing to get anywhere in the world?
I did see some Dads and Grandpas with their kids at the Show, but is the world putting the squeeze on flyfishing?
There can't be too many thing more wonderful than the time that is spent fishing.
That's what I want my Dreams to be about!
Doug