I think that depends on where you were at the beginning. If you entered your wife's life and your current job this way and they are now intolerant - that's one thing. If you took up fly fishing and more importantly, the frequency of the trips recently - that's another. I can tell you as a wife that I very intentionally didn't marry a golfer because I have them in my family and they are never home. My husband plays on occasion and that's fine. If he decied to start playing a lot I would have a problem with that. My own personal form of a solution would be to take lessons and start playing with him. Can you get your wife involved in fishing with you? If you are wanting the solitude and escape of the sport so often, perhaps you should be asking yourself some different questions because I doubt it's the fishing. Maybe you could consider a move closer to the waters if you're not already there. That way you could go after work or before and not make long trips - you may already live by the water though. If your wife sews I can tell you she would enjoy tying flies. Try to encourage her to take a class. Most women tie great flies because our hands are smaller and more nimble. Don't give up something you love, but you may have to curb if for someone you do.