+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help in choosing another rod

Default Need help in choosing another rod

I am looking for a moderately priced travel rod, something that is on the smaller side that could be strapped to a backpack or left in the car. The primary use of the rod will be for the warm water largemouth, smallmouth, bluegill, and such.

I already own several of the TFO 4-piece rods, looking for something that breaks down smaller. I am comfortable with the action of the TFO rods and would prefer something similar. There are no fly shops in the area, so test casting is really out of the question and mail order is really the only option.

I was looking at the 6 piece 9ft 6wt TFO professional, the same series that I already use, but someone I had talked to said the action was not the same and I probably would not like it. Doing the math, the rod would break down into 18-inch sections.

Also considering the Cabela?s 7 piece, 9ft 6wt Stowaway rod. Never have cast one, but lots of folks like them. Doing the math on this one, the rod breaks down to 16-inch sections.

Orvis has their Frequent Flyer line of rods, they have a 7 piece, 9ft 6wt rod. Never have used an Orvis rod, so I am not familiar with the action.

Saw a 9 piece 9ft 6wt travel rod in an LL Bean catalog. It certainly breaks down into a small package. Never have used one of their rods either.

Looking to get some thoughts on these rods from folks that have used some of them.

Check out Bass ProShop in Hampton off of Mercury Blvd. Has a large fly fishing section with LOTS of rods.

Been to Bass Pro many times, I think half of the store had been paid for by me

Haven't seen anything that breaks down on the smaller side. They do have the Browning Travel Rods, did look at those. Not really what I am looking for.

Also looked at the Richmond Orvis store. They didn't have the travel rod in stock.

The outlet store in Williamsburg didn't have one either.

Cabellas has a line called the Stow Away 7 Piece. Check it out online.

Greg

Blog Entries

Reasonable priced would be covered by the Cabelas Stowaway.

There is (or was) both a five piece and a seven piece.
    I have a five piece three weight that I love!

Don't over look LLBean's 6 pc 9 pc rods. They have gotten good reviews as far as travel rods are concerned.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Anglerdave,

I had taken a look at the LLBean 9 piece travel rod. I like the "packability," with all of those sections, I would really like to know how the thing casts compared to what I use.

D.C. is the closest LLBean store, I don't think they would let me string one up and cast it in the mall at Tysons Corner - would be quite a sight though.

Do you recall where you saw the reviews on this rod?

Thanks

There is an Orvis shop about a quarter of a mile from the LL Bean shop at Tysons, and it's a small shop that will go out of their way to help you. (Once you are off the beltway on Rt 7, just keep going past Tysons and under the Rt 123 bridge. The Orvis shop is on the right just past the brige.)

The Bean shop at Tysons used to let you take the rod right outside the door to the sidewalk and cast, but I haven't been there in about 5 years.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries

I was at Bass Pro today and they have an Eagle Claw five piece pack rod for dirt cheap!

+ Reply to Thread