+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crooked River, Oregon - Thanks Rick Z

Default Crooked River, Oregon - Thanks Rick Z

Took a two day trip to the Crooked River near Prineville, Oregon. I have been there several times and usually catch 5 to 10 whitefish a day. I got there yesterday and fished in rain for 3 hours yesterday and fished today for 3 hours in bright sunshine, but gusty winds. Things started out kinda slow and I then tied on a size 14 scud made with some great dubbing that Rick Z. sent me several years ago. Final tally was over 70 whitefish and I could have caught more but it was just too windy to make the fishing enjoyable. Some pictures of the river. Click on picture to get a better view. Pict #1 - Daylight on the river, #2: Looking downstream. All the fish were caught in the "hole" just downstream from the island, and #3: Rocks along the canyon.

Tim

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Panman/IMG00002-1.jpg:f305f][/url:f305f]
    [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Panman/IMG00003.jpg:f305f][/url:f305f]
    [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Panman/IMG00005-1.jpg:f305f][/url:f305f]

Way to put the HAMMER to the whitefish TIM!!!
    I'm Happy to hear that you had a good time.
    I'm afraid your trip is getting my juice's flowing.
    That's not very nice to interfere with my Hibernation!
    Great Report!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

No trout? It is a great trout river. This canyon area has a nice campground and is between Prineville and the dam.

Pete

No trout. I have fished the Crooked for several winters and have found fewer trout each year. There is a website www.westfly.com where the members lamented the large decrease in the number of trout in the Crooked. Some say that there is not enough trout to warrant a trip to the river - unless you like to catch whitefish.

Tim

I have only caught one trout on the Crooked and probably hundreds of whitefish. Not to say that the whitefish aren't fun, but with the Metolius, Fall River and Deschutes so close by, you really gotta love the Crooked or whitefish if you're fishing it a lot. Durn pretty place though @ Smith Rocks.

Marty

Odd. I have heard of trout populations dropping but hadn't experienced it since I fish it in private places downstream. Many years ago it was mainly a steelhead fishery for trout as the water was too warm. Then the Dam was put in and cool water drawn from the bottom of it. This created a superb trout fishery. I really do not know what is happening now.

Hey Pete,

Let's hook up sometime. My in-laws are in Bend and that's why we make it out there with some frequency. Love the area...so many wonderful places to see.

Marty

+ Reply to Thread