+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Handling caught fish

Default Handling caught fish

Well if anything REALLY frosts my butt it's what I just saw on North American Fisherman. The "star" catches a 30+# Sturgeon and yanks it out of the water BY THE GILL PLATE and then proceeds in his 4 minute dissertation while holding the fish thusly for the duration. And THEN, when attempting to release the beast, yanks it BACK OUT of the water, still holding the gill plate to get a grip on it's tail ( WHERE HE SHOULD HAVE HELD IN THE FIRST PLACE). This practice AND lipping a bass by it's lower jaw and forcing it one handedly into a horizontal position to display it merits MY ire.

Mark

It seems these guys should/do know the limits of the game they catch. Somehow, these 'Hero' moments probably do no harm. But, three things burn my a$$; the two things you list and a fire three feet high.

I think the majority of fishing shows have anglers that carefully release fish.
    I saw the show Marco is talking about. The guy had no business sticking his hand in the gills of the sturgeon.
    If these shows have a contact # at the end of the show, then we should send a message stating our disapproval.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I saw that episode too. That guy was an idiot. When he started manhandling that fish, I thought for sure he was gonna keep it.

Most shows do a pretty good job though.

Ok, ok, ok!!!So, what show and who was the person?

North American Fisherman on "VS"
    It was Steve Pennaz the editor fo the magazine of the same name.

Rick

Darn, just saw this again. Jose whatshisname and a local are fishing flats in Louisiana for Redfish. Local catches 25+# Redfish and lifts it out of the water by it's gill plates. Jose sees this and very politely says " let's BOTH hold him" and takes the fish by the mouth/head while "STUPID" holds the tail.I REALLY think this practice of "GILLING" fish should be made a BIGGER issue. It verifies with hard evidence this weeks QOTW. If I see someone doing it, there will be "words" shared.

Mark
    PS: And this is not even my "pet" peeve

nighthawk Guest

Mark,
    I am on your side, buddy. I see a lot of that crap at the local lake I fish. Disgusting!

+ Reply to Thread