+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Boo question

Default Another Boo question

You all are going to be sooooo glad when I get this rod finished!!

I bought a hexagonal winding check, the exact measurment of the place on the rod (all three measurments, averaged). It's just perfect ... except for ... just about an inch above the cork, there's a slight increase in the rods dimension, and the check won't slip beyond it. Can I apply moist heat to the rod, then "encourage" the check beyond it? Do I just give up and purchase a new check in a larger size?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty
    I would try to encourage it. If that fails take a small file and remove a VERY SMALL amount of the check at the stubborn spot. Go slow....and check your work often. If there is a small gap when seated, it should not be a problem as you will make a wrap against the check when you wind the rod.
    Hope this helpes...
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Default winding check

Dont be so hard on yerself Betty Were all learning as we play with our tea-sticks Wish I could have helped you more. Im sure Leo will jump in here eventually. Ill see if I can get ahold of Bellinger-Boy, mayby he can help

Hey Betty, What kind of rod is it? I know bamboo but is it a Monty, H-I, Heddon? Not that it makes any difference.

The good news is that it is a Hex check and that makes fitting a mite easier. Kaboom hit it with the light filing and it should come right in. Is that a Golden Witch Check by any chance?

Leo

Leo,
    It's an old Monty, as best we can tell. There were no markings on it, but the ferrules looked like the ones used on Montys.

It is a Golden Witch Check. Gotta tell you, though you probably already know, the couple at Golden Witch are some of the nicest people you would ever hope to meet!! Quality materials, too!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hey Betty,
    I kinda sorta thought it may be a Monty as I have encountered that a couple of times on some of their rods. I have the stupid habit of measuing tapers all the time and have found as much as .005" variance downward on some of their sticks. On a couple of the ones that I did have a similar problem with I got out the 600 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded the area that was causing the binding of the check and cured it. In most cases, you won't take off enough of that power fiber to make a difference.

You are so right about Russ and Erica...they are two of the best folks I know of. I have placed orders with them and then they would call to talk about some of the order or just anything, really. I have it in my plans to go up and visit with Mike McFarland and Tim Zietak this coming spring and I want to go see Russ and Erica while I am up there.

A couple questions:
    1) Does the rod have a swell in the butt?
    2) Is the winding check tapered on the inside? (you can tell this by measuring either end with your dial calipers)
    3) How long is the winding check?

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    (aka "Bellinger-Boy" )

Sears makes a screw exctractor tool that is basically a hex shaped tapered punch.

Drill a small hole in a block of hardwood that is the same diameter as the winding check I.D. Then using the punch and a light hammer you can easily adjust the inside dimensions.

You can also make a hex shaped taper punch by grinding doen the sides of an allen wrench.

You could also use a jewelers file and file down the insides.

+ Reply to Thread