+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paired hackle tails

Default Paired hackle tails

I'm trying to tie saltwater flies (like deceivers or tarpon flies) with a pair of trailing hackle tails splayed out on each side of the hook. I've seen samples where the pair of feathers look like a single feather - mine don't (My feather pairs separate or rotate slightly when I tie them on)

What's the technique involved in getting two pairs of feathers to look like just two feathers?

Default gee em wet

Hi MN....here's a tip from the originator of the Deciever....assemble the feathers for one side together and wet them down. They will stick to each other and behave themselves. Then put both sides together and wet them down again. The first wraps to tie them on the hook should be just tight enough to hold them in place. Once they are where you want them to be, you can bind them down tight.
    Try it out.....hope it helps....Jason

I smash the hackle stem flat with a pair of nonserrated pliers. You only need to crimp the stem part you tie down. Now that the hackle stem is no longer round, it is easier to get it to lay directly out. I also use flat thread.
    Bob

tie a couple of loose wraps and then position the hackles as you tie a tighter wrap. It takes a bit of practice and it works just fine.

MN Fisher,

You've got great advice so far: wetting down feathers, mashing stems and taking loose wraps. Put them all together.

You may also trim hackle barbs from the stems with a scissor (leaving a buzzcut)instead of pulling off the barbs with your hand (leaving a smooth stem). The barb ends on the stem will help prevent rolling and lock the stems in place.

I don't splay tails on deceivers and tend to tie them sparse to get max distance.

On key style tarpon flies I tie roughly 1/2 dull sides together (not splayed) and 1/2 splayed in the same pattern since I mostly fish clear water. I keep the hackle 3" or less, mostly around 2 1/2" on 2/0 and 2" on 1/0 hooks and stay away from 3/0 and larger hooks. ( I'll use 3/0 on weighted rabbit strip flies for dredging.)

I'd advise you to try casting the first couple of splayed wing tarpon flies you tie up to make sure you get the proportions right. When I started tying them I kept making the wings too long and they were monsters to cast. It looked like I was being dive bombed by a bobwhite quail...

Good luck,

peregrines

I figure you are tying the feathers in at the same time, which you should. "Pinch" wrap the feathers to make them stay on top on the hook shank as opposed to rotating on the shank. Also, match the feathers before you tie them. Some have more curve than others. If you want a straight tail, find 2 feathers with less curve. If you want sprayed, find 2 feathers with a lot of curve. Remember that your selection in materials has as much to do with how the fly fishes as how you tie the material in. Hope that makes some sense to you.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Now it's off to the bench to see if I can make 'em work.......

+ Reply to Thread