+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help In Portland ,Or.

Default Help In Portland ,Or.

Hello all

I'll be in portland, OR July 8 - 12. I would like to get any info on what kind of fishing is going on that time of year and where I should go. all help is appreciated.

thanks riz

Great sponsor there, "Jakes Grill". Look it up on the sponsor page.
    http://flyanglersonline.com/about/jakes/
    Mike and his wife are both fanatics. Sevral others in the region too. You should call well in advance.

The Deschutes

Deshutes is a good one.

There is also the Metolius, which is tougher to fish, but the prettiest river I have ever seen.

There is a fly shop in Wlches that might be able to give you some good advice. It is called "The Fly Shop" and their website is http://www.flyfishusa.com .
    Hope this helps.

Adam[/code]

Default portland help

If all you want to do is fish for trout, PM me. Ill probably get razzed, but the Santiam is only about an hour and half away. I can take you out on Sunday or if you can get into town on Friday we can make a weekend trip out of it. PM me if your interested. By the way if you havent fished Boo yet I can get you "hooked"

I read Deschutes in the previous post and immediately began thinking of the central OR places I love. You could also try several of the costal rivers (about an 1-1.5hrs) for resident and searun costal cutthroats.

Adam

thanks guys Deschutes, santiam, and metolius, are these rivers wadable or would i need to hire a boat? also it looks like the main focus is steelhead, is that right? what gear, outfit should i bring? flies?

clyde - i may take you up on that sunday trip if i can arrange to be in saturday, which is likely. i will PM you.

JC - thanks for the tip on where to eat. i will be eating there on the trip. it's great to have a high per diem on trips like this.

any comment about the sandy river?

Too early for steelhead on the Deschutes....

You might wnt to check with Kauffmann's Streamborn fly shop in Portland....see the sponsors list here...

www.deschutesangler.com
    www.flyfishingdeschutes.com
    Both of these shops are located in Maupin on the Deschutes. Generally their sites have the most accurate reports since they are on the river every day.

All of the rivers listed can be waded. A boat and guide would give you access to more water on the Deschutes but is not necessary. There should be PMDs and lots of caddis around at that time. As mentioned, it will be trout fishing on the Deschutes then. The North Santiam should have some summer steelhead around. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rizeye
    any comment about the sandy river?
    Pretty good steelhead river and conveniently close to Portland. If you stay on the East side of Portland the Sandy River is as little as 10 to fifteen minutes away. The crown Point highway parallels the lower section of the rives and access is abundant. You can pull over and park anywhere along the road or you can pay to park at Dabney State Park. There is parking at the Stark st bridge also however I can't remember if there is a fee.

If time allows head up to the Cedar Creek hatchery and fish that area of the Sandy. You'll have to park at the hatchery and walk in a half mile or so but this section of the river contains a lot of returning steelhead and the fishing can be exceptional. The water consist of riffles, runs, pocket water, pools and is very very wadeable. I would fish this section before work in the morning, when I lived in the area and quite often land a nice steelhead. Nice water.

The Sandy River is my ex home water and I fished it weekly when I lived in Portland. For such a great River it doesn't see a lot of fishing pressure which always surprised me but I'm not complaining

If your into small wild trout the salmon river up by welches is fun to fish. Nothing fancy is needed there; 4wt rod and some attractor patterns. This is in the Mt Hood National forest and the scenery is breathtaking (as is the scenery on the Sandy river but in a different way).

Good luck, have fun and enjoy your visit to Portland. It's an incredible city in a beautiful area.

Ok... I should mention that I haven't lived there in a couple of years and the fishing might have changed. I probably wouldn't be giving out all this info if you were askin about my home waters here in Maine

Many of the returning steelhead are hatchery fish and if the are putting fewer fish in the river than things would not be like they used to be..

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or post them here if you like

+ Reply to Thread