+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build #2 - Rainshadow IM6 4pc 6.6ft 2wt.

Default Build #2 - Rainshadow IM6 4pc 6.6ft 2wt.

I just finished this rod on Tuesday. It's the second rod in the "Spirit Bear Rods" (tm)collection (my home made costom rod company LOL) . I wish I had purchased more of these rod kits when I bought this one. It was a great way to practice without worry, like I did with build #1. So my first words of wisdom for the beginner rod builder it to buy a couple of cheap kits to work on before attempting to put together a rod that has more dollars at stake.
    This was a kit from H&H on one of those last chance deals of theirs. I think I sunk in about $40 all told.

I like to give my rods a name. This one I called, "TRUE BLUE" after a favorite Australian song by John Williamson.
    For the butt cap I used a $2 Australian coin I saved from some trips Down Under. The picture on it is of an Australain Aboriginal, the Southern Cross and a plant too small to make out but I'm guessing Wattle.

and just one more...same as the first with a different background. Just playing with the camera.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Man I dig that personalized work with the coin and feather inlays!
    Excellent work and very pleasing to the eyes.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Beautiful work, Mato. Based on your description, you have more invested in the Junglecock skin than the rod.

I like the way you have the feather inlays on top of thread wraps as a background. Some attractive feathers get washed into the background of dark blanks, and need a better background for them to stand out. I've been studing feather inlays for my next rods, and been practicing on a factory rod until the blanks get here. I don't have a junglecock skin (yet), but I'm working with guiney (sp) fowl as an alternative, and I have both golden and ringneck pheasant skins to pick feathers from.

One question: are the junglcock eyes on your ferrules used as alignment marks or just decoration on the female side? I didn't see a picture of the other end of the sticks.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I thought about using the JC as line up guides and I probably still can. I have to check and see how close it gets. I didn't do a matching feather on the female end this time. So for now it's just for looks. I'm just trying to keep it simple for now.

P.S. Thanks for the Koo Doos!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

Wow that rod looks awesome

6. Default Rainshadow IM6 4pc 6.6ft 2wt.

I'm looking for some cheap kits that I can practice with but still have a decent rod when I get done. You said you paid <$40.00 for yours. If you don't mind me asking, what is it and where did you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mato Kuwapi
    I'm just trying to keep it simple for now.
    OOOPS! You went beyond simple, my friend. I can hardley wait to see the "complicated" build you come up with.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Re: Rainshadow IM6 4pc 6.6ft 2wt.

Quote Originally Posted by fish and teach
    I'm looking for some cheap kits that I can practice with but still have a decent rod when I get done. You said you paid <$40.00 for yours. If you don't mind me asking, what is it and where did you get it.
    fish and teach,

Check out this deal from Hook & Hackle for $38 plus shipping: http://www.mailordercentral.com/hook...number=AF9053K

"Angler Fly Rod Building Kit

9' 3-piece 5 weight, glossy black blank, medium fast action, all black snake guides, black chrome reel seat, reverse half wells cork grip, threads, glues, instructions and everything else to build a fly rod. Perfect inexpensive alternative for a beginning rod builder."

Go getum, Tiger! Come join the other addicts on FAOL. We'll be glad to help you through your build.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hook & Hackle is where I got it! Just get on their newsletter list and you'll see deals of some sort fly at you at least once a week.

Now that's truly art Mato ! Thank you for the great post and pics.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread