+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John Day river OR

Default John Day river OR

Hello. This is my first post on the website. I was wanting to call out any OR fly fishermen to answer a couple of questions. I am coming out there in mid-may to do a 4 day drift down the John Day for smallies. I am wondering what selection of flies might be good.
    After that drift I am headed to the coast. My parents live on the Siletz, a few miles down from moonshine park, and I was hoping the steelhead are running then. If so, what would be a good wieght rod to use for them?

Hello! Could you tell me if your going with a Guide down the John Day and if so WHO?
    Do you know your starting and take out point on the John Day and how many miles your drifting?
    www.westfly.com is a popular site in the west, but there are no reports on the John Day at the moment.
    Click on Fly Tying on the Bulletin Board and then click on the Post about Help with Crayfish Flies. I'm sure the smallmouth would be interested in some of those patterns.
    Good Luck!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Hello
    doug. Thanks for the reply. I am going with my dad. 3 years ago my dad drew a sheep tag for that area and I flew out to help him fill it. (second largest california big horn ever taken!!) We spent alot of time pulling smallmouth out of the river. So we are planning the drift for the same area. All I can tell you is we were near Condon. We are not using a guide. There will be 3 drift boats going. The group I am going with have made the drift other times. I will be the only fly rod in the group and want to make a good showing! I have been using a fly rod for less than a year, so any help would be appreciated!
    I will check tha flies you said but I have tried to fly tie even less time. I have a cheap fly kit I purchased from Cabelas and only know how to do a couple flies I use locally for trout.

Try this ....

http://www.flyfishusa.com/adventure-tri ... hn-day.htm

They are a fly shop in Welches...I suspect a call to them will get you good info and it looks like you can order John Day flies from them.

Thanks Ducksterman! Your link will be very helpful.

Default I so want to go

I have always wanted to fish the John Day River! I once saw a fishing show with 2 guys and a guide on a 2 day float trip. Camped on the river with great meals and fly-fished popping bugs for giant smallies. It seamed like behind every rock was a giant explosion. On my TO DO list!

What an AWESOME fishery!
    ~~~waders~~~

+ Reply to Thread