+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Spill Glue Again : Tip

Blog Entries

Default Never Spill Glue Again : Tip

I cut a square hole into a couple of stacked 3/4 inch squares of plywood. You could use a block of nice wood instead. Now my square bottle of head cement cannot tip over plus you can unscrew and screw the lid on and off easily with one hand. Your glue is always right in front of you where you need it. Its obvious that I am no carpenter. But you can see from the picture what I mean.

Gnu Bee

Ps Before i found the square bottle I had a round one. Its even easier , you get the proper sized drill bit , drill it to the same size as your bottle . as you start the bottle into the hole place one of those thin toothpicks along one side of it to jam it snugly in the hole for one handed operation of the cap.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I also have made many of the same holders and passed them out at club meetings --- you can also buy the small round bottles with the needle stopper. they never leak even laying on their side.BILL

I get some of the tacky putty used to mount posters w/o making holes in you wall. I place a nickle sized blob on the bottom of my jar of head cement and it sticks to the surface of my tying bench.

The putty rolled into a point also works well for picking up small beads...

Quote Originally Posted by kengore
    I get some of the tacky putty used to mount posters w/o making holes in you wall. I place a nickle sized blob on the bottom of my jar of head cement and it sticks to the surface of my tying bench.

The putty rolled into a point also works well for picking up small beads...
    Brilliant minds think alike; I've been doing exactly the same thing bead-wise since I started using beads years ago! BTW, have you ever tried Mortile caulk for beads, it works better IMHO.

And as far as the head cement goes, I also use poster putty and stuck mine in the bottom half of a small plastic box minus the lid. I can stick two types of head cement in the same 3" X 2" box and move it around if desired without knocking it over.

First please forgive me for high jacking this thread, but, someone mentioned the small round bottles with the small metal tube with a needle in it and I love those but quit using them because, on mine, they would never stop flowing head cement even when you set the bottle down. It was like a siphoning action started and it would not shut off. If someone knows how to stop this from happening, I would love to know how because, like I said, I really like using those.

Thanks,
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren, what I do is keep pressure on the bottle when I turn it back upright (needle pointed up). Then let go of the bottle and the cement gets pulled back into the bottom.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

What I need to know is how to get the cement out of the carpet! Even the professionals can't get it out.

KOA, I know what you mean. sometimes i forget to put the lid on while i am tying another and i reach for a material and knock the cement jar off my bench. I can't find anything to get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by KOA-1
    What I need to know is how to get the cement out of the carpet! Even the professionals can't get it out.
    Thats why you use the small bottle with the needle top--you can lay it on the carpet open and none will leak out. I also use Fly- Tite tying cement with a alcohol base. It stops flowing when I set it down. Diluted with denatured alcohol.

SonOfMartin & William Fitzgerald

Thank you both for responding and I will try both suggestions because I like the needle for applying just a small amount of head cement in a precise area.

Thank you both
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread