+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania

Default Pennsylvania

Can anybody reccomend any rivers or flies in Pennsylvania? I'm going there with my family this summer and I'll be doing some fishing. Obviously. So where should I go??

Thanks,

Rob

Rob - PA is a pretty big state with a lot of different opportunities. If you gave us some idea of where in the state you'll be, how far you're willing to travel to fish, what species you would like to fish for, and type of water (lake, pond, stream, river), we can point you in the right direction. A specific date will also help with conditions, hatches, etc. If it would be more comfortable for you, feel free to send me a PM......Ed

PS - If Avalon or Bamboozle sees this post, they would be a GREAT source of info. They are the walking /talking version of a DeLorme Atlas.

Dear Rob,

Like Ed said, it would be better if you could provide a general location of where you will be and what species you would like to fish for you will get alot of good suggestions.

PA has anything from step across trout streams to large rivers, small ponds to lakes and many different species of fish to chase. Give us more info and we'll help you out.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

nighthawk Guest

Rob,
    We do need more info but here are a couple of sites that will help, the first one is the fish and boat commission site:

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/mpag1.htm

The next is a Pennsylvania fly fishing site:

http://www.paflyfish.com

Like has been said, the more information you can give us the better we can help you.

Where in Pa, and what are you after?

Default Pa

Hello
    All kinds of fishing in Pa . Just get on Google all kinds of imfo.

John
    Fish like predator.

Ahh, my bad. We'll be in Pennsylvania actually for our Canadian Victoria Day so the 18-22nd pretty much. We don't know where we're going yet, but looking to fish some small streams and rivers (not tribs) for browns, brooks and rainbows. in a perfect world the farther north the better, but willing to travel south i believe. quantity over quality, becuase we're bringing about five other teenagers to learn how to fly fish themselves .

Sorry for the lack of detail in the original!

Dear Rob,

A couple more questions for you. Where are you planning on staying, camping, a hotel, do you want to rent a cabin, etc? If you give us some ideas there we can give you some places to check out for accomodations.

Victoria Day is in May isn't it? That should be prime time for trout fishing. I'd suggest based on my personal preferences that you think about the area around State College, PA - Lock Haven, PA, - Williamsport, PA.

In that North Central region of the State there are a number of quality waters to sample. For example you have Spring Creek, Penns Creek, Big Fishing Creek, Pine Creek, Lycoming Creek, and Loyalsock Creek. Those streams range from 30 to 40 feet wide - Spring and Big Fishing Creek, to well over 100 feet wide - Pine Creek and the Loyalsock. Many of those streams have smaller tributaries that have wild brown trout and native brook trout populations. There is a lot of State owned land that is open to public in that area for you to explore.

There are many campgrounds in State Parks as well as private campgrounds throughout the area. There are hotels and motels too, and rental cabins but you need to make plans early to get a cabin as that is prime fishing and turkey hunting season and the cabins fill up quickly.

If you were coming two or three weeks later you could join the FAOL Fish-in being held in the Pine Creek Valley the weekend of June 9th and 10th.

As you get closer to finalizing plans get back to us and we will do our best to make your trip worthwhile.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

If you're going to be in Central PA, Penn's Creek and Spring Creek are exceptional fisheries. The Fisherman's Paradise section of Spring Creek is nice. A little more east is the Letort, which is a famous stream and accordingly gets pretty large crowds, especially on the weekends. There's also Spruce Creek, another famous stream, and although it's mostly privately owned, there is the George Harvey stretch that's about a mile long. Penn State University owns it and it is open to public fishing. If you're after large trout, Spruce is the place to go.

I'm assuming you're talking about fishing in May. Some patterns I'd recommend for the above streams are: #16 & #18 Sulphur Parachute, #14-16-18-20 Parachute Adams, #20 & #22 Blue Winged Olive, your favorite midge patterns, #12 & #14 Light Cahill, and if you are lucky #8 Green Drake. My fishing partner and I hit the Green Drake hatch last year and they looked like bats coming off the surface film. In addition to the above dry flies, Hare's Ear Nymphs and Pheasant Tail nymphs in assorted sizes and WD-40's in #20 & #22 work well for sub-surface flies.

Hope this helps some,

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

nighthawk Guest

Rob,
    This is where the PA-fishin will be held:

http://www.happyacresresort.net/

Along Pine Creek, a great fishery, and they will give special rates for large groups. Many other very good fisheries in short driving distance. Great fishing right out in front of the resort and lots of helpful folks there to make your stay a great one.

Avalon, as usual, is right on with his advice.

+ Reply to Thread