+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techno -Wog

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP
    Since I am not the "sharpest tool in the toolshed" why do the tying instructions stress to be careful and not trap any of the marabou in your wrapping as you palmer the marabou up the hook shank when the next step is to tie in some yellow yarn and cover the whole thing?! Then cover that with the foam?! I know I must be missing something here, but, why worry about trapping the marabou if you are just going to cover the whole thing?
    You are a sharper tool than I am. I keyed off of the pictures which show no sign of palmered mirabou. My guess is that that text got in there by mistake when the author based his directions off of another set of directions. He did "cut and paste" but pasted too much into the new directions.
    Bear742

Bear742,

Like you, I would have tied it from the pictures, but, I do like to refer to the instructions to make sure that I am tying it correctly. That part about palmering marabou kind a "threw me a curve".
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Bear,

I'm with you on the 'fast and easy' attributes of foam.

There are hundreds of foam ties that are faster and will do the same job as well or better for bass and panfish.

You can buy ready made foam 'marshmellos' at the craft store, tie a tail on the hook, split the 'mellow' and glue it on, and catch fish with it. Faster and won't twist and you can control it better on the water.

The well published and awesome Gartside Gurgler and it's variations is an easy fly to tie, has a well earned pedigree, and looks nice too.

Joe Blados Crease Flies are as simple, work well, and can be everything from simple to pure artwork on the water.

You can easily and quickly punch out little discs of foam and tie them to a hook for a quick, simple, disc popper or diver. Heck, just wrapping a srtip of foam arund the hook will give you a servicable popper.

I just think that this fly was built to look like a hunk of meat, and that's what it looks like. While I'm sure that it works great floating down a river waiting for a salmon or steelhead to eat it, the transition to a actively fished warmwater topwater fly requires some attention to the design.

Frankly, I think this fly is ugly. It looks unfinished to me, and I see issues with line twist and how it will work when tension is applied to it when trying to 'work' it on the water.

While 'prettier' might not catch more fish, there is no evidence that I'm aware of that 'ugly' is somehow better either. Put 'ugly' together with what seems to be 'poor design' and I'll pass.

Since I can't fish EVERY fly, I'll stick with either easy or pretty, or just 'finished'.

If I ever need a fly that looks like rotting flesh, I will keep this in mind.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Re: Techno -Wog

Quote Originally Posted by Bear742

Techno-wog

Gurgle Pop
    Bear742

Mike,
    When I clicked the link to the instructions of the Techno-wog, it explained that it was for Alaska fishing. The fly also has specific instructions for how to fish it.
    I think it would be a interesting fly to try.
    Do you know anyone in the states that catches fish with it?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread