+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techno -Wog

Default Techno -Wog

Fellow WW Fly Fishers, are we missing something? Deer Hair and Foam Wogs are big in Alaska as a surface fly for salmon and steelhead. This version has foam flippers that may give it a jitter-bug wobble. Has anyone tried these on bass?

Tying instructions:

http://www.americanflyfishing.com/retai ... ore_id=212
    Bear742

No, I haven't tried them, but I think I soon will be . I see no reason why one of those in Chartreuse, or any froggy color shouldn't waylay the bass, and in smaller sizes, bluegills too.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I think in smaller sizes it would work for gills.
    One question: Why not use one length of foam, put a hole in the center of it and then tie the fly? Instead of wrapping two pieces of foam on the hook?

Rick

Very similar to a two lipped version of a Gartside Gurgler that I use for LM Bass. I often use flies originally intended for different applications or species. If they look like they'll work, they usually do.

Jim Smith

Rick-

no reason I can think of, except using two pieces of foam would let you make two-color versions.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

will be tying some in yellow and green, and green and white.

Since I am not the "sharpest tool in the toolshed" why do the tying instructions stress to be careful and not trap any of the marabou in your wrapping as you palmer the marabou up the hook shank when the next step is to tie in some yellow yarn and cover the whole thing?! Then cover that with the foam?! I know I must be missing something here, but, why worry about trapping the marabou if you are just going to cover the whole thing?
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

No reason it won't catch bass or bluegills.

That being said, so will hundreds of other similar designs. The method used for assembling it seems like a 'stop gap' or 'make do' for someone who doesn't want to spend the time to fashion a more finished head from either turned foam or deer hair (neither of which is all that difficult to do).

Personally, I don't like marabou tails and I'd wonder about tracking both on the water and in the air with those odd little protruberances. Also, that head just looks 'unfinished' to me. It was probably designed to look like a floating piece of salmon flesh, and it does seem to look just like that to me.

I don't see anything that would recommend it over other topwater 'pusher/popper/gurgler' type flies, and you can really only tie and fish so many. It's not like there aren't already thousands of topwater flies for bass and panfish...

No doubt it will catch fish, but it's not a revolutionary design, doesn't look like it will do something 'different' on the water, and it's not even particularly pretty.

Just my opinion, of course, I have been known to be wrong.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy said,

" for someone who doesn't want to spend the time to fashion a more finished head from either turned foam or deer hair"

Buddy,

Would a more finished head catch more fish? That is to say, is it worth the time to make the more finished head? Foam flies like this one are well established fish getters. There are thounsands of patterns. Bob Clouser uses them precisely because he does not enjoy the process of spinning deer hair and because he finds the flies he fashions by gluing two spider bodies together to form the head equally effective. Now that is only one man, but it is a big man.

Like Clouser I prefer to spent more time fishing and less time spinning deer hair. I welcome these "stop gaps."
    Bear742

It does look like a good little fly but those little paddles look they could give you a lot of trouble while the fly is in the air if you didn't get them lined up perfectly. It's got heliocopter written all over it.
    Your hooks sharp????

+ Reply to Thread