+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! I cant get my reel seat off...

Default Help! I cant get my reel seat off...

So I am in the process of refinishing my first bamboo rod (an HI Spinner)...
    Took all the necessary measurements, removed the pin from the butt cap. placed in ziplocked baggie, dunked in boiling water...AND....
    The reel seat wont come off, tried and tried and tried. All the cork finally came off from the hear but the reel seat is still there it hasnt budged....
    What am I missing, What should I do?!?!?!
    HELP!

If you are looking to replace your reel seat, cut it off with a dremel tool. If you want to keep it... I can't help you.
    jed

Try repeating the hot water & baggie regime in cycles. Its repeated heating and expansion that breaks down epoxy bonds.

If not, the only recourse it to fire up the dremel tool and cut it off. Make some long cuts parallel to the rod blank that are almost the full depth of the reel seat material. Leave about 1/16" shy of the blank to avoid damage. Then see if you can force a screw driver blade in the kerf and crack/pry it open by twisting the blade.

you may also look to see if there is another pin holding the seat on, I have seen that on some H-I's..

I found the pin and removed it thanks. Still won't come off though.
    A few more questions:
    I am not trying to save the reel seat:
    What tools do I use to remove the reel seat?
    If I try boiling and freezing do I need to put it in a baggy to boil?
    Would a blow drier work?

If you aren't trying to save it, you can use a dremel tool to cut the seat and remove it as already suggested. and yes you can use a heat gun or direct heat to remove it. Is it the phenolic seat or is it a metal seat?

Its a bakelite seat.
    Forgive my ignorance, I am not a tool guy, what is a dremel tool?

Dremel is a brand name for a electric powered rotary tool used in hobbys, crafts, and some commercial stuff when air is not available to support pneumatic rotary tools. With a dremel you can use grinding tools, sanding tools, polishing tools, and simple cutting tools. These are all compact in size and very well suited for what we are doing in rod building. Becuase these folks pioneered the electric powered home rotary tool, most of us call all home electric rotary tools Dremel

http://www.dremel.com/en-US

Your seat being phenolic makes it a little easier to remove in my opinion. I would get a heat gun and keep heating the reel seat until I saw slight glimpses of smoke or steam coming from under the reel seat at the edge of it. when you see that, very quickly grab the reel seat and pull and twist back and forth at the same time. Make sure you have a leather glove to grab that seat with...

Being phenolic is willnot conduct heat quite as quickly as the steel, aluminum or nickel seats do, but it will come off. If you are not comfortable doing that you can also use a hack saw cuting at a very large angle across the seat...just make sure that you don't cut into it so deeply that you get into the boo!!

Thanks everyone for the help! The soaking and ice water combo finally got the seat to slide right off...

+ Reply to Thread