+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail Order service

Default Mail Order service

I placed an order with The Fly Shop in California 2 weeks ago, and when I called to check on the order on Friday, I was told that part was sent out, but the rest would be sent on Monday or Tuesday. When I called today, I was told that it would be sent out today. Needless to say, I was not happy about the service there, and asked that the order be cancelled, and my name removed from their mailing list.
    I also placed an order from Angler's Workshop the same day as the one above, and even though I put the CC# in wrong, I rec'd an e-mail telling me that there was a problem, which was corrected, and the material rec'd within the week. Great service from them, but not The Fly Shop. Just wanted to rant a little, and let ya'll know about it. Rob

Rob,

For my birthday and Christmas gifts my sister has placed orders with the Fly Shop. Several times over the years shipments were received short with a memo listing the backorders with cancellation instructions. It seems they have an ongoing issue with inventory control. I am speculating here, but I think their emphasis is on guided tours and not with their in-store or online retail.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I visited the Fly Shop last summer while in Redding. I left with the impression that if you were not dressed to the nines and had a wallet thick enough to choke a horse they were not interested in talking to you. From now on my only visit to that business will be on the web to get stream reports.

Tim Anderson

Good to know...I go by there at least a couple of times a year always thinking of stopping....now I won't fuss with myself for not stopping...besides I don't like the sales tax

I am usually in The Fly Shop 2 or 3 times a year on my travels to Northern CA and have been visiting for over 15 years. I have always found the staff to be very helpful, often offering local advise even when I did not purchase anything. My typical dress when I arrive is old sweat pants and a T Shirt (comfortable long distance driving clothes) and I rarely spend more than $20 when in the shop. I have purchase a rod via a phone order and some other things via phone orders over the years, but never placed a web order with them.

Never had a bad experence with them. Have been doing bizz with those folks for years. If your order had any Umpqua Feather Merchants stuff that could be the reason. UFM moved to CO. and from what I hear are a few_months_ behind on everything. They,UFM have some real issues going.
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

I've been to The Fly Shop(it's right there off the east side of the freeway just south of Redding, you can't miss it) a number of times over the years, bought all kinds of stuff and always got a great reception. I've never felt like I had to dress up to go to a fly shop but I have noticed the staff is always dressed neatly and that they're presentable, which I think says, 'we're doing good business here and we want you to think so' which applies to any business really.

Some of the staff have been there for what feels like 20 years...maybe more and they have families some of them, I'm sure. Phone orders were always met with courtesy and patience, even when I wasn't sure of exactly what I needed or wanted. Oh and I once stopped in just to look at fly tying materials and 'W' came upstairs from behind the counter asking if I needed any help and before I knew it, I knew a lot more about materials in 10 minutes than I gathered on my own in a couple of years.

I never did order online that I can think of. The wife might have since she was constantly putting goodies purchased from The Fly Shop in my Christmas stocking...fly reels on a couple of occasions...the nice Sage wading jacket and a few other big ticket items and I don't remember the wife ever mentioning any problems with ordering.

I don't ever remember being backordered...but maybe. Not that I would care one way or the other unless it was something I needed ASAP...then I would call and say hello to 'W' or 'M', whoever answered the phone and after the greetings and passing the time of day for a minute I'd have them cancel that part of the order and I'd drive to Ashland or Medford to get it. Back orders happen when an item is really popular and it's always been a real hair puller for any of us that have been in business when we miss a sale because of a run on an item in high demand. Kinda like going for BBQ stuff and the sourdough french bread rack is empty.

As far as warranty and service go, I never had any problem with The Fly Shop that I can remember. In fact they always went way out of their way and would take care of things on the spot even when I know they didn't have to. I remember one time I went in not expecting to get another line for the DT that was ruined in half a season I'd bought elsewhere but 'W' just apologised for my inconvenience and handed me another line. That was unexpectedly good service I thought.

They're a 'big' little fly shop that has real people working there and I don't think they mean anyone to think they don't want to do good business. I know a few people that drive the 140 mile round trip or more to shop there (just like I always did)that have always been happy with the service, warranty and exchange policy. Kinda like some big boxers...'if'n you don' like it, or if'n it don't work, send it back for a full refund or a new one' kinda place and unless I'm mistaken, The Fly Shop is a one store operation. That's because the owner, managers, staff and the destination team got their ducks all in a row years ago.

I'm guessing by now if anyone is still reading, they may have decided I don't have any problem with The Fly Shop and that it may even sound like I kinda like that place and the people that live there. Yep, I do. No business can be perfect all the time but they have been with every single transaction of mine so I can't say anything except in praise of them and what a great job I've always thought they've done for myself and my wife.

Oh and I really like the really old and dilapidated picnic table and benches in the shade just to the left of the entrance...tucked back a bit out of sight where one can change into or out of their waders. Oh, also they have a lawn casting area and I'm thinking 70 or 80 'try' flyrods, a bunch of them rigged with reels and lines in a rack by the door. You'll get the 'kid in a candy store' feeling everytime you go in.

I can't discount that someone had a not so good experience at The Fly Shop, but I never have. If I do though, I won't say anything to anyone but one of the staff there and I know that since it will have been an oversight, or an honest mistake, that they'll make it right....and in spades too. Reminds me of the time 'W' put a pin on tape measure with The Fly Shop logo on it in my sack of odds and ends I got one day. I hadn't asked for it so I gave a subtle quizzical look and he gave a little shrug back. Nothin' said. But I got it and thanked him and went on my way, all the more happy a camper.

So there you go...a free flyline, a free tape measure with The Fly Shop logo on it, great (in my opinion) service and a place where I could always pretty much count on getting what I needed or wanted. Not sure if there's more to ask for in a fly shop nor to say about a fly shop that I've been visiting for a long time so I'll stop. Drop in there sometime and see what you think of the place. I like it and maybe you will too. Then again maybe you won't. There's always Chico to the south or Dunsmuir to the north. Oh and if'n ya order by catalog or online, they don't charge tax if'n ya live in a state other than CA except where law makes 'em.

Big cheers for...

you guessed it..The Fly Shop

MontanaMoose

P.S. The Fly Shop
    is right off I-5 to the east,
    just south of Redding in case
    you want to check it out.

After reading the post by Montana Moose I reflected on my post. While I had a less than pleasant adventure in their place it stands to reason that my visit is the exception rather than the rule or they would not be in business.

If you are in Redding perhaps you should visit the Fly Shop and draw your own conclusions. I stand by my original post.

Nice post Mr Moose and very reflective.

Thank You

Tim

I'm doing a demo in Redding tommorow
    I'll drop by the shop and say hi ... I hope the have some hen necks...
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

You're welcome Tim, thank you for reading my post.

They prolly will bones...hope you get a chance to wet a line somewhere around the posse grounds.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread