+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Float Stocking

Default Float Stocking

Hello-

I recently read several articles in fly fishing magazines that mentioned rivers which are "float stocked" by volunteers. By walking up and down a river with floating holding pens full of trout, they can spread the fish out in a more natural way than their normal concentration at dump sites. I guess the idea is that this might extend the fishing season or even result in more holdover fish.

I immediately thought of a few rivers near my home in western mass. that I feel would benefit from float stocking. I would very much like to try it, but I have no idea how to go about it. Does anybody have experience with float stocking and / or does anybody live in the area and have interest in helping if I can figure out how to do it? Who should I contact? Would it be possible this year or is next year more realistic? I would really appreciate any help or input or information you might have. Thanks.

RC, you will find an article in Readers Casts explaining the whole process.

RC-

Where in western MA. As you see from my profile I'm in W.MA. also. Maybe we can get together.

jed

Our local TU chapter does a lot of this.
    Perhaps your's does too.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

hmm thanks, thats an interesting article.

Jed, I live in Leyden. I was thinking of the Green River and / or the Falls River. Are you a TU member? I'm not, but it seems like they might be the best people to contact? Are there any other local groups which you think would be interested?

I can probably find out who is responsible for the trout stocking on those rivers. Caleb Slater is the person who does the Salmon stocking program which includes the Falls river.

I am not sure that there is enough depth in either to do much floating, thoug if you had a tub that could float you could walk. To be honest, I don't like the Green river that much. I never see fish there except at the 8 mile bridge area in spite of the fact that the water looks incredibly fishy. Could certainly be me but its not my favorite spot.

I belong to the Millers River TU but am not an active member. Most of what I do is done through the Mass Angler's Ed program where I help teach fishing to those interested in learning.

I do have some places in Northfield that are fun and we can certainly try some of your favorites or some of mine when the weather is more cooperative.

jed

Jed-

I agree that it wouldn't work to float the rivers, I was thinking of walking with floating tubs of some kind. I feel these rivers have potential because they are both very healthy, they just tend to get fished out kind of quickly.

It would be fun to fish sometime. Im sure we both fish some nice spots nearby that the other one doesn't.

Our local conservation float stocks using inner tubes with mess pens in the middle to hold the fish. You can either walk them down river, or tie them to a canoe or jon boat. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread