+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubbing for PT thorax

Default Dubbing for PT thorax

I've been tying some smaller PT nymphs and was wondering if a peacock dubbing could be used in place of the ostrich herl. I'm pretty sure it could, but wouldn't it need to be a fine diameter dubbing? If so, does something like a superfine dubbing come in a peacock color.

Thanks,
    Greg

Default You can use ostrich herl...

Look for a feather duster and you will have very fine herl, much finer than you can get peacock. I think that it could be beautiful and a great substitute.

Greg,
    I thought the standard thorax on the American (Troth) PT nymph (as opposed to the Frank Sawyer version) was peacock herl, not ostrich.
    BUT - if you're looking for a magic, very secret thorax material, try a PMD dubbing or natural, light colored hare's ear. But don't tell anyone about it - it's a killer dressing!

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

I have seen and used an infinite variety of dubbings for a PT nymph thorax. Seal's fur,SLF (excellent), mole (for small nymphs), Hare's Lug (Ear), 'possum (another good one) and any other dubbing natural or man made fibre.
    Give them all a try, the larger nymphs with a garish thorax can work on stillwaters, the smaller with just a little touch of fluo mix for stream fishing. The mole, 'possum and H.E. are particularly good on small nymphs, but try anythying and everything.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Littlebrook,

Thanks for the insight and clarification. I'm a bit embarassed saying I've used ostrich herl , I've always used peacock. My bad. You have also shared a couple of great ideas for dubbing colors. Thanks.
    Donald, you have offered some fantastic alternatives as well.
    Sometimes I think I stay inside "the box" too often when tying nymphs. I have never thought of using anything different than peacock herl or a peacock herl dubbing. Thank you all for sharing your insights.

There is nothing wrong with an ostrich herl thorax on a PT nymph. Here are a couple of possibilities

I forgot to give the hook size of the copper bead PTN,
    but the copper bead was the smallest, about 18 hook I think.
    I used PT hen on them, I like it better for very small nymphs, but try both.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Normand Guest

I dont think the is anything cast in stone that says you cant substitute one material for another.

You might want to try bright dubbing to act as a 'hot spot'

or even a glass bead...

I just used muskrat to dub a hare's ear nymph last night, since I don't have a hare's mask. Looks like the one in the book, to me. One thing I've taken from Al Campbell's lessons on this website is don't be afraid to try other/new materials. It's nice to tie the classics with all the proper materials, but in some cases you just don't have that option.

There are no rules for tying flys........

+ Reply to Thread