+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ostrich for tails

Default Ostrich for tails

In a thread some time ago it was mentioned by some that they liked to use ostrich for tailing material instead of marabou...feeling it was more durable and had an action that was even better.

Do many of you use it?
    Do you agree?
    Better than say Artic fox?

I don't recall ever really seeing it suggested before those posts and never really considered it ....thinking it was probably quite fragile.

duckesterman; I use Ostrich for tails on Wooly buggers and have had good results both with catching fish and durability. As to more action I think not but the stiffer tail seems to make the fly Track better.[mho]

Not a patch on Artic Fox for movement. But it works for me so I'm happy. Have Fun. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

ducksterman,

It was probably my post because I use Ostrich for most of my buggers. I do feel it is more durable. I started using it a couple years ago after reading an article that gave a pattern for tying a leech and the tyer recommended that Ostrich be used instead of Marabou. He stated that when the leech fly was cast upstream and was drifting down with the current, marabou would be pushed forward by the current and foul on the hook whereas ostrich being stiffer would not and would give the fly a more "leech like" movement and action. It made sense to me. Now that I have been using it for awhile, I really like it. I have not used Artic Fox so I cannot comment on it compared to ostrich.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

ducksterman,
    I like ostrich for all the same reasons as above. I've found you need to be very careful with arctic fox because if you get just a little too much underfur in with the guard hairs it restricts its movement almost completely. Ostrich is a lot easier to work with, too.
    Joe

Ducksterman,
    NO! I can understand using ostrich for tails in rivers but NOT stillwater.
    Personally peacock always beat ostrich, easily.
    Doug P.S. What about Rabbit Fur???
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Duckster,

someplace around here I have an old book that lists 'ostrich or peacock' for the tails on wooly buggers, AND it claims that this was the 'original dressing'.

Never tried it myself.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Herr Duck (Phil):

Thank you for bringing this subject up. I for one do not like to tie marabou tails as I seem to get pieces all over the rug. I will be trying the ostrich this summer.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders
    Duckster,

someplace around here I have an old book that lists 'ostrich or peacock' for the tails on wooly buggers, AND it claims that this was the 'original dressing'.

Never tried it myself.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    Interesting...I don't think in a woolly bugger I'd ever use peacock [despite what Doug says]...way too fragile....as much as I'd like to use it....

Tim..."Herr Duck (Phil): "....how did you know...I mean the Herr

Herr to me is a title of respect.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread