+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Using For PFD's ...?

Default What Are You Using For PFD's ...?

When I'm fishing from the canoe in deeper waters, I wear a Stearns inflatable fishing vest. It can be inflated kinda quick by pulling a cord attached to a CO(2) cartridge, or even by mouth using an inflation tube; the thing has a Coast Guard Type III rating.

Having somehow, "mysteriously", overturned in times past, and as I've advanced in age and sping waters seem somehow colder than they use to be, thought it best to be as the Boy Scouts use to say ... prepared.

Thought it might be a good idea to see others are using.

Dale

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Default Re: What Are You Using For PFD's ...?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW
    When I'm fishing from the canoe in deeper waters, I wear a Stearns inflatable fishing vest. It can be inflated kinda quick by pulling a cord attached to a CO(2) cartridge, or even by mouth using an inflation tube; the thing has a Coast Guard Type III rating.
    That's exactly the one I use in cold weather. The thing is unbearably hot otherwise.

Note: Other PFD's with floatation materials sewn into it that doesn't need to be blown up do not need to be worn ... just be accessible.

The PFD you and I wear HAS to be worn as that particular PFD will sink when you capsize. At least that's the law here in Florida.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

I've been intrigued by the inflatables, but being a paddler first, my choice has always been a lotus designs lola - awesome range of movement and an easy pocket and lash tab. Personally, I can't ask for more.
    -Erik

I believe mine is a Sterns (Sp.?) but not the inflatable kind, just a Type III flotation type. It is accessible when I'm not wearing it but I really should be wearing it all the time. I always wear it when on my ODC 816 but usually not when I'm in my fishing buddy's canoe, it is accessible. I will be making a point to get more in the habit of having it on no matter what craft I'm on despite how hot it can get.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Default Re: What Are You Using For PFD's ...?

Quote Originally Posted by FL_SKIBUM
    The PFD you and I wear HAS to be worn as that particular PFD will sink when you capsize. At least that's the law here in Florida.

That's interesting.

When I first got the vest about the first thing I did was to infate it using the blow-up tube just to see how it would be inflated. But I could not get all the air back out afterwards. So mine has a little air trapped inside.

Your right about it being warm to wear on a summer afternoon! However, I usually wear in the spring and fall on some particular waters, for the most part, so it fits in with the season. Have used it to cross one narrow lake in the summer but that's usually an early morning and late evening crossing.

Dale

In my kayak, in the salt, I use a paddlers vest from Extrasport that I got at Sierra Trading Post. Cheap
    Bright yellow
    I like the yahoos in the powerboats to be able to see me
    No excuse.
    I've never tried an inflatable and to tell the truth, I don't think I'd trust one
    Just my $.02
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default vest

I use a Type I vest. In a kayak, it a necesity for doing an 'Eskimo Roll'. I also have a paddle float, which is required to do a 'wet' re-mount if your 'Eskimo Roll' isn't up to par. Otherwise, you have to drag the yak to shore to re-mount yourself.

Sometimes, in calm water, and in hot weather, I will forego wearing the vest in the intersts of comfort, but it is still on-board, if needed.

Semepr Fi!

I use a Stearns fisherman's life jacket I got from Wal Mart. It has pockets like a fishing vest. I wear it all the time in the winter to stay warm but only wear it in deep water in the spring, summer and fall.

I don't like the inflatable kind for kayaking. If I fall out of the kayak its either because I've blacked out or got knocked out. In either case, I don't want to rely on being able to pull the switch.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Default Mustang

Hi guys,

I spend a lot of time (in occasionally rough water) alone in a Whitehall 14 rowboat which I've had for seven years.

http://www.whitehallrow.com/rowboats/ty ... owboat.php

I use the basic (less-to-go-wrong) Mustang "Air Force" cartridge-inflatable / manually-inflatable vest ... very popular here in Canada ... hardly know it's there.

http://www.gear-up.com/category/102

Like all similar vests, it's tricky to get into in a real emergency so must be worn at all times. I usually don't wear it in low-threat situations, so I also carry a totally tricked-out full-blown life vest ... knife, whistle, GPS, strobe, cell case, custom survival kit ...

The Mustang stores easily in my boat bag and can be used for folks that I unexpectedly meet and invite aboard!!

Ron

We had a Coast Guard guy at out flyfishing club last month. He is a kayaker and was a strong advocate of the self inflating vests. Apparently the CG is issuing them as standard equipment. According to him these Type III vests are light enough and cool enough that people wear them. They also do not require that you be concious when you hit the water as they inflate automatically. They have about the same floatation as an old Type I. They do require annual maintanence and are pricey.

David

+ Reply to Thread