+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sticker decal

Default sticker decal

I bought a Rainshadow blank and it came with a sticky-back decal. My buddy warned me that sticky decals can pull up around the edges. It's such a nice decal with the size and weight of the rod (they gave me 2) I hate not to use one. Anyone care to cast some wisdom my way?
    Thanks

On the first couple rods I built, I used the sticky decal. If you burnish it down around the edges, and seal it with rod finish, it won't peel up. Since then I've learned (LOL!!) to write he rod size/info on the rod and leave the decal off.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default sticker decal

Hi Betty: Thanks for the input. Like I said, my buddy told me the same thing. My writing is terrible and even worse when trying to write on a round blank. LOL! Since it's just for me I'll just put my initials on it. I also thought about getting the butt cap engraved. What da ya think?

Blog Entries

If you decide to use it, cut the edges smoothly and make sure there are no sharp corners since this is the area that usually tries to come up. You can also put a good wrapping of thread completely over the sticker for a couple of days to help set it, and use CP to seal it down. I've also put a wrap on each end of decals to match your guide wraps. I helps bring the design together, and holds the ends down at the same time.
    I've gone to custom made water slide decals and get beautiful result with them. They only cost 3 or 4 dollars, and you can make them say anything you want. And with some practice, you can make the entire decal, except for the lettering completely disappear.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Engraving the butt end sounds kewl!! But with what the cost would be, a gel pen, and a spritz of workable fixative, is more within my budget!! Once you get the hang of it, the writing does improve. ol'blue is right about the sharp edges/points. Curved edges seal much smoother.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' blue
    I've gone to custom made water slide decals and get beautiful result with them. They only cost 3 or 4 dollars, and you can make them say anything you want. And with some practice, you can make the entire decal, except for the lettering completely disappear.
    Where do you get you waterslide decal material. I also have trouble writing on a round surface and would like to be able to use the decal material so that if I screw it up, its not permanently on the rod.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Dunfly, if you go to Hobby Lobby, in the model cars section you will find Testors decal paper that will let you make your own decals that work very nicely. It is made in clear and in white, so make sure you are getting the right thing,

One of the local builders here that does a lot of graphite told me that if you get a base coat of epoxy on the rod and let it cure before applying the decal, you won't get the peel that you are describing...couldn't tell you first hand as I use my own decals most of the time.

Default Decals

DLEO6446: How do you mark the decal material from Testor's? Do you use a magic marker, gel pen, felt tip pen, run it through a printer, etc.?

I run it through my injet printer. Photosmart 7350. Then after printing it, I coat it with Artists Lacquer spray to solidify the color, Let it dry then apply it to the rod...

This is what they look like before epoxy

and this is after epoxy...(showing the same font for reference only)

Default decal

dleo: Ok! Looks great!

+ Reply to Thread