ducksterman,

Ok, Ok, you done it again.

I use a furled leader that is 7' long and attach 6 foot of 6 pound test fluorocarbon to it for tippet.

I have no justifiable reason why except it seems to be a combination that works real good for me for my style of fishing.

I will change the tippet when I notice that there is a change in the way the rod/line is casting and that is when I notice that I have changed flies enough or retied the fly due to a nick in the line, etc. and have shortened the 6 foot tippet to 4 foot or less. Once I remove the shorter tippet and put 6 foot back on, everything casts real good again.

I am not the type of fly fisherman that has to change lengths of my furled leaders during a day of fishing to match a particular fly. Whatever fly I feel I need to cast to catch fish, will be thrown with the 7' furled leader and 6 foot fluorocarbon tippet. If that works that is great and if it does not, it will not be the first day I have been skunked nor will it be the last. I just love to fish and love to fish with a fly rod. There is no special procedure or equipment needed for my style. Just go fish. I try real hard to not get too scientific about my fly fishing because then it would not be as much fun as it is. I fish to get away from some human beings, work, stress and enjoy Mother Nature in all her glory.

That's my opinion and I am sticking to it!