Pap Paw,

Becoming proficient with dubbing is perhaps the best single thing that you can do to become a a good fly tier. Dubbing allows you instant control of the body color (blending), shagginess (keeping guard hairs), and shape. If you weight your flies, it allows you to fill in the space wire where your wire ends without making 30-40 wraps of thread. It's well worth the little extra time that it takes to become good with this material. You've already gotten lots of good advice but once again:

Start with far less dubbing than you thing you need--dirty the thread with it. You can always add more. Dubbing is a highly correctable art.

Roll in only one direction and pinch the dubbing as hard as you can while rolling. Someone forgot to tell me to pinch the snot out of it and my dubbed bodies were way to loose.

Use rabbit hair or other easy material first. Get good with that before you graduate to the angora or Flashabou dubbing.

Practice making a dozen bodies or so. Put it on the hook and take it off. Start again with new material, put it on and take it off. You will really enjoy dubbing as it becomes almost second nature. I know that all the punch yarn guys are going to disagree but give it a try and stay with it. 8T