+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Dryer Motors

Default Rod Dryer Motors

Just ordered two "Disco Ball" motors to build my rod dryer (making a 2 station).There are several models to choose from. After using a 1 RPM dryer borrowed from a friend, I ordered 3 RPM motors. I believe they will make applying Flex Coat a little faster process. At $9.99 each, I don't think you can go wrong. Here's the site:http://www.cheapdjgear.us/Mirror_Balls_s/3.htm

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

THANKS Joe,
    Going to look into those for a batt op fly turner.
    ....lee s.

Blog Entries

allelectronics.com has 30 RPM motors for $2.50 if you need anything in that range. That is what I used when I built my first drying rig. Thay also have other accessories to help build a dryer like rubber feet, switched power cords and grooved wheels/o-rings.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Quote Originally Posted by ol' blue
    allelectronics.com has 30 RPM motors for $2.50 if you need anything in that range. That is what I used when I built my first drying rig. Thay also have other accessories to help build a dryer like rubber feet, switched power cords and grooved wheels/o-rings.
    Thanks, ol' blue. I saw this motor before, and was about to buy a couple of them until I read on a rod building forum that the plastic shaft extension is both short and weak. Apparently some builders have had problems with them, and have gone over to different motors like the disco ball motor. Also, wouldn't 30 rpm's be a little fast for our application?

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

A drying motor is a useless unneeded thing. Yes, I made the same mistake, I bought one and have never used it and I guess I have built at least a dozen rods

Quote Originally Posted by Arkriver
    A drying motor is a useless unneeded thing. Yes, I made the same mistake, I bought one and have never used it and I guess I have built at least a dozen rods
    I don't understand why you say it's useless. Is there something I'm missing? I view it as a "convenience" to free you up to do other things while the coating dries in an even manner.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

How can you dry without a motor? I am about to start restoring my first rod and I am not sure how to get away without a motor?

Blog Entries

Drying motors are not useless, but they aren't essential, either. You can turn them by hand and get fantastic results, but you have to babysit them for a few hours. Just turn them 180 degrees when you start to see a sag on one side. A drying rig is useful to have and does give nice results as well. I've done both ways, and time usually dictates that I use a dryer most of the time.
    30 RPM is just the output of the motor. You can use an o-ring or a gear to reduce the RPM to wherever you want it. I have some older versions of that motor, and it is all metal and has served me well so far. I didn't know they cheapened it in the meantime.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I have been using a BBQ motor for years and got tired of the slow(3 to 4 rpm) speed. just got a microwave turntable motor, 34 rpm and changes direction every time you turn it on. Sometimes I have to turn my rod jig around to clear longer rod sections so I find this helpful. Faster speed means your are done applying before finnish starts to set up. Some guys use a 100 rpm motor. Good luck

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Arkriver

I don't know about YOU, But I have a lot better things to do than to stand around rolling rods over for two hours while I wait for the epoxy to dry.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread