+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Weight

Default Line Weight

I can get a really good deal,I'm talking really good deal on flyline from a guy who bought out the entire business's stock. Going out of business deal.

I have a 5 wieght rod. What are the advantages of using a 6wt line or a 4 wt line?

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeee

2. Default

You can go under but not over!
    If you use 6wt on a 5wt Rod it won't cast for beans.
    But with the 4wt on a 5wt Rod you can get away with.

------------------
    Jim Bolden Sr

I caught a Fish so big once I couldn't weigh it.
    Took a picture of it and the picture weighed 20LBS! (My Dad)

Gill nit,

I have to respectfully disagree with Jim.

A fly rod is designed to cast a certain weight RANGE efficiently. Not a 'line size' but a 'weight'.

EVERY line has a portion that weighs EXACTLY the optimum casting weight for your rod, regardless of what weight the rod is rated for. The portion just differs in LENGTH.

Optimum casting distance is achieved by correctly loading the rod, line speed, and timing. An expert can do this on just about any rod with just about any line weight. I saw a fellow, I think his last name was White, cast 3 through 9 weight lines on a 5 weigth rod. He cast the ENTIRE line of each size...

Now, most of us aren't expert enough to duplicate that feat.

Still, if you routinely cast shorter distances (40 feet or less) or deal with wind a lot, one or two line weights over the rod rating can be a help. If you want really long casts and tend to try to hold a lot of line in the air (over forty feet), then going DOWN a line size might be best for you.

Most folks find that overlining is more helpful than under.

So, a six weight line will be fine on your 5 wt.. So will a seven. A four too. It will require some adjustments, maybe. Maybe not. Depending on the rod, it's not uncommon for the 'rating' to be off on the low side as well.

If you can get the lines 'cheap' get several and try them. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:65f19]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:65f19]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Gill,

I agree with Buddy, ... If they're cheap, get 'em all.

I spool 3 different line wts for the same rod.

Also WF vs DT lines in the same wt can make a difference. I'll mix 'an match lines and rods for different conditions and lies.

When giving lessons, I'll also mix up combos quite a bit to find te right balance of flex, lenght, action and loading depending on the student's "personnality".

I'll typically underline, cause I like double hauling and load the rod in a kind of brutal fashion, ... but that's my way of doing things.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

Hey Mikee,

I like to fish short light rods. It's
    my thing. At shorter distances, going up a
    line weight works well for me. Also when
    the afternoon winds come up it helps a good
    bit. Warm regards, Jim

If you change the weight of the line (and this also includes changing the length of the line aerialized), you will change the frequency of the rod, and that will change the "feel" of the rod.

Of course, unless you know the frequency of the rod which you desire and how to adjust the frequency of the rod you have to that value, you haven't gained much. Consequently, How to do all of this is desriibed in the latest issue of RodMaker Magazine.

However, if you aren't interested in understanding the limitations of your equipment and if you have the lines, time, and motivatiion, Trial and error is a perfectly valid way to approach the problem.

Experts recognize the tradeoffs of frequency, distance, and feel.They can adjust their casting strokes accordingly to handle any rod with any llne. Most of us, however, have a casting stroke we like and would rather not change,
    Coinsequently, we use line weight to atttain the feel we like

7. Default

Guys please note I said "Get away with".
    It is HIGHLY recommended that you match line weight with corisponding weight rod!

My "Get away with" statement came from a Guy that had 20+yrs behind a Fly rod.
    Cuz I had the same question about 2yrs ago.

------------------
    Jim Bolden Sr

I caught a Fish so big once I couldn't weigh it.
    Took a picture of it and the picture weighed 20LBS! (My Dad)

Bill,

Very well said ...
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Most of us, however, have a casting stroke we like and would rather not change,
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got a nice deal on a 5 wt once, ... I had some appropriate reels and lines laying about. I tried lots of combos and finally had to buy a new DT 5wt line to get the right feel out of the rod. The feel, that is, that matched my casting style.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

Many people find that overweighting a rod helps their casting. The effect overweighting has is it loads the rod with less line out and / or less line speed. An accomplished caster can balance line speed to weight and produce the same load with several diferent line weights. Shooting lines and heads are examples of overweighting. For example, a 250 grain head or shooting line like SA's Streamer Express is commonly used on 7 & 8 wt rods. 250 grains is the weight of 9 wt line at the top limit of that spec. This is, in effect overweighting by 2 line sizes on a 7 wt. You can shoot a long distance with little effort and no false casting with this type of setup. You will probably find you cast with less effort with a higher weight line. If you use a lower weight line you will have to put more line speed into your cast to achieve the same loading. That's why using a lower line weight is not as popular because it may be harder for one to cast. I personally find the recommended line weight on my rods is fine foe me but I do have some shooting lines for some types of fishing. As Buddy (who gave you good advice) said, try them.

------------------
    Joe

I really like my 5wt rods. Now it grieves me to say that because I'm fond of all the rods I own... sort of like having to pick which is your favorite children! Having said that and clearing my conscience, let me say I have three 5 wt's, but one I dispute as being such. With the exception of that one rod, all cast best with the weight line indicated for the rod. Now I've had individual rod makers and manufacturer's say that a good fly rod, in addition to what it's sized for, should be able to handle going up or down a line size and still perform. That my rods do, too, with that one exception. The exception is a 9' 5wt St Croix Pro Graphite - got the rod because of it's action and it had the old full wells grip (reminded me of some rods of yesteryear). This rod serves as my canoing down river, popper rod - and it does this job very well.That is, with a 6wt line; the rod feels like a 6wt, acts like a 6wt and casts a 6wt so much better than a 5wt. - in fact, will even do a decent job with a 7wt on a windy day.

Would not have been able to do all this experimentation had it not been for me finding a source of reasonably priced fly lines - I would have went broke! So now I'm reel poor ... they are going to get you one way or another, ya know.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread