+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As the first rod rotates in the dryer...

Default As the first rod rotates in the dryer...

I just ordered three more blanks, component kits, bags and assorted pieces parts. But I KNOW I can quit anytime I want to. After all, it's +5F outside with a chill factor of -14F, so what else is there to do?

Ha, ha, ha, ha.....I think I got it real bad this time.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

after seeing the care and effort and skill you put in your swap flies, I am sure your rods will look great.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

You can... wrap fast, the Game is comming on soon.

Default Rod building

You go Joe! Sometime I will have to get you to move over to the "Dark Side" of baqmboo.

5 below here this morning on my thermometer. Spent the morning making a set of ferrules for a 7 foot for 2 weight. An honest to goodness banty rod.

fishbum

It's not completely dry yet, but here's some shots of the handle section of my first rod. I learned a lot from the Flex Coat DVD that Jack Hise loaned to me, but I still have a long way to go. I have a couple of imperfections from not getting the tag ends of thread buried under the wraps, but a little sanding and touchup should take care of those. Since I plan on fishing this rod, I added gold thread bands at 12", 14", 16" and 18" for measuring fish (very optomistic for a 2wt). All in all I'm happy with my first effort. Between advice from FAOL'ers, the FAOL rod building tutorial and Jack's DVD, it was pretty painless. The next rod will be a little easier, and I'll pay closer attention to the thread tags and burnishing. I've ordered two 6'6" 2 piece 2wt rods to build for donation to FFF fundraisers (I learned to always give back!), and a 4 piece 8' 4wt for myself. This should keep me busy until the rivers thaw out. Thanks to everyone for your help and encouragement.

Joe

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

" I added gold thread bands at 12", 14", 16" and 18" for measuring fish (very optomistic for a 2wt)."

Never hurts to be optomistic....it's the big ones you really want to measure.

I'm curious when you are addicted to rod building do you find yourself hiding blanks around the house in handy places?

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    I'm curious when you are addicted to rod building do you find yourself hiding blanks around the house in handy places?
    After almost 35 years of various outdoor related addictions, my bride is just happy that my habit is done at home, and not elsewhere. I don't hide anything (yet). She's particularly glad that I don't reload any longer. Tubs of powder and cases of primers around the house always made her a little nervous.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hey, Joe, if the neighbors could see the cans of powder I've got stashed in the garage I think I'd be run out of the neighborhood.

Joe,
    Nice job! I may just have to contract you to build my 1st 2 wt...too many grandkids (& 1 more coming) to do it myself.
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Nice Job Joe

+ Reply to Thread