+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castwell Knot uncertainty

Default Castwell Knot uncertainty

OK I'll admit it ...I haven't caught a fish yet using a Castwell Knot but I'll be giving it a shot next spring. I do have it on a couple of rods.... no problem practice casting....gee imagine that

I use a lot of other knots and do a lot of fussing to keep the bulk down and also have them smooth [pliobond, etc] Obviously if I need to change on the water the knot used can't be "fussy"...usually I do a nail knot then.. but I'm going to give the Castwell a shot.

What has always concerned me about it is the darn short tag....if you want to keep the possibility of guide hang up low that tag should be cut flush but then there is just the smallest of small amount of tag holding the knot it seems to me...it just looks fragile to me....I know no one has seemed to report a failure with it...

So how long do you leave your tags?
    Have you ever had it fail?

Talking big strong fish here....I'm pretty sure JC has used it on Saltwaater

I urge you to NOT even try the knot. It will fail for sure,,, sooner or later. I just know it will.

Don't Worry Be Happy!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    I urge you to NOT even try the knot. It will fail for sure,,, sooner or later. I just know it will.
    Then I can report ..a first...I'll be famous

ducksterman,

I know your fear! I had the same fear when I started using it. I leave maybe 1/32 tag, but, I am thinking about going shorter. When I hold the fly line in one hand and the furled leader in the other, I can pull really hard on the knot and it does not give at all. I think the harder you pull the more the fly line coating grips the leader. I do not feel it will fail. When you think about it, the rod flexing and the line stretch, there is not that much pressure being put on that connection. Since the tippet has the smallest breaking point, it will break before any other connection. The knot is so easy to tie that anyone who changes leaders often, will find the Castwell knot easier and faster than a nail knot and cutting it off and retying uses less fly line each time. I am sold on the Castwell knot and that is the only one I am using to attach my furled leaders to my fly line on all my rods.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

In the circles I am around I have heard negative comments, like "GET OUT OF OUR CIRCLE!"
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I'm for the "Castwell Knot"! It works guys!

I use the Castwell Knot on all my rods and it has not failed yet. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Ok, I am going to write something blasphemous. What if the knot slips? You lose one fish you were probably going to release anyway. Ok, you will also lose a $3 leader. It's not like you are losing your car, house, wife, etc. Try the @#$% knot! Its only fishing

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    JC, This was a SHREWD move. This way you won't have to be in Judge Judy's court room.
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread