+ Reply to Thread

Thread: canoe -stop anchor

Default canoe -stop anchor

new to forum. a good anchor that will work to stop your canoe if overturned in a river. a house brick w/ holes in it. @ least 20 ft. nylon rope, tie to rear of boat, but put it in the middle of canoe. when an overturn happens, the brick comes out, gets caught in the rocks, stops canoe. leaped from the back and had grandson by his life jacket, when the water touched his knee. gives you time to gather up the grandson and put him on a bolder, and acess the sitution. a suggestion, tell your grandson to talk to god while checking the canoe, it has a small calming effect. tell , if you have anyone w/ you , you are going under water to cut the rope, to get on your back or follow you until you can touch bottom, then throw small person over your shoulder into the half submerged canoe, the grandson felt safe for the 400 yard float to calm water, and push out on shore. suggestion, if a child is w/ you it is important that you go over the event which just took place. they will tell the story w/ great pride of the adventure when being picked up downriver. after loading the canoe on grandmothers truck, we went to the river, thanked the river for the safe trip, all of a sudden the wind blew hard against us, 1st, breeze of the day, my wife smiled at us and said we looked like soaked , happy persons. it seemed to turn into a short story. the brick works. rich

bearpaw, Thank God the two of you survived this canoe trip. I'm sure this will go into your grandson's memory bank which he will pass down to his children. Being a grandfather or Pap Paw with 12 grandchildren also being a canoe owner brings back a memory or two. Like the time I had my grandson out for a day on the river, we were taking the canoe out after a fun day when I threw the tie rope into the canoe and pushed the canoe out from shore to reposition it. Well I had to dive into the water and swim quite a way to catch the canoe all the while my grandson was running along the bank crying and yelling. Luck had I was able to retrieve my canoe and looking like a drowned rat climbed out of the river to have my grandson say, "I didn't think it was that hard to take the canoe out of the water Pap Paw". That day I think I had a Sometimer moment.
    Hobo

+ Reply to Thread