+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New fly reel

Default New fly reel

Looking to buy a new fresh water fly reel.
    I have been checking out a PFLUEGER TRION at Dick's sporting goods, Its listed for about $100.
    Does anyone have any info.on this real, or can make suggestions on one in this price range or less would be appreciated.

Thanks
    TonyC.

a thread all about the Trion... http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/view ... hp?t=15586

I like the look and feel of this reel, i got one in an 8wt for christmas. But since i've never actually flyfished....dont listen to me.

ive got one on my 9wt for salt use, and i do like it. its smooth and well made
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

Default Battenkill Bar Stock

Orvis makes the Battenkill Bar Stock (BBS) line of reels that go from $98 for the 2-5wt up to $139 for the 9-12 wt. I picked up an "in the box demo" off of e-bay for $80, regularly $129. I'm not familiar with the Trion, but the description in Cabelas is very similar to the BBS. I think the BBS is a very good reel.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Default New rod info.

Thanks, ALL for the input. I'll look into to this a little deeper. I felt the reel at the store and liked the loooks of it. But you never know until you try it or get advise from those who know.
    Thanks RAW I'll look into the Battenkill bar stock.
    Again thanks to all, Ill' let you know how it turns out.

TonyC

I have 7 Battenkills 2 are the newer Chinese made. Hate to say that the new Chinese made reel don't compare to the Quality I expect from an Orvis product. The Trion is also a Asian made product. I don't own any but have read somewhere that the spool might be interchangable with the Orvis of the same type. If money is a real option look for the companies that actually make these reels you won't be paying extra for the American Co. name.
    Okuma reels comes to mind they start at aroud 50.00.
    If you want a U.S.A. made reel with great quality I recommend the Teton Tioga I own 4. A little more than 100.00 gets you the same reel as they're high end product with less machining. Get the regular arbor since the large arbor just adds weight and reduces the ammount of backing.

Tom

Since Okuma was mentioned....

Some time ago I was going to buy a Battenkill...but had the opportunity to hold and compare the Battenkill with an Okuma Helios...the Battenfill did not seem near the quality to me...and I liked the Helios better than the Trion...the darn thing just felt good in my hand...fished with them all last summer with no problems....
    I think they are a reel under the radar screen right now and I suspect part of the reason is their retail price but they can be bought on Ebay auction frequently @ $100 and I've seen them less....that's new

+ Reply to Thread