+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another furled leader question

Default Another furled leader question

I recently bought two BlueSky 8'4" stillwater furled leaders without giving enough thought as to how they should be used. Can they be used on full sinking, sink tip as well as floating lines? These are the lines I use for stillwaters from time to time. I am hoping that some of you will have used these particular leaders and can offer some real world experience, good or bad.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Bill V

What are they made out of ,Bill?

OK, Bill, I did a Google and came up with this...

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0011251.shtml

I have no personal experience but it's pretty obvious these would be best with fishing spooky fish with dries on stillwater[for that matter on moving too]...

Any of these leaders can be used with any lines....they are just going to present the fly differently.....personally I'm going to go with fluorocarbon furled leaders for wet fishing stillwaters.

I'm sure others will weigh in

Bill,

I cannot make any comment on your post because I have never used one of Blue Sky's furled leaders. I really do love the color of their leader. I do not feel the color has any effect on the purpose of it, I just love the mint green color! I have looked everywhere for that particular color and cannot find it. I do question what they are using for a material because their package states mono but on their web site it states they are made from nylon. I know that nylon will sink slower than mono and flurorcarbon will sink faster than mono. Knowing that, I like using fluorocarbon for the furled leaders I make for my style of fishing. I want my furled leaders to sink quickly and I have used mine on a full sinking fly line and they work just fine and I feel the Blue Sky furled leaders will work fine too. Some do not like using furled leaders made from either mono or flurorcarbon for dry fly fishing due to the furled leader sinking and pulling the dry under. With 5 foot or more of tippet attached, I feel that by the time the sinking furled leader starts to affect the dry fly, you will be to the point of your drift where you will be recasting the fly anyway. To each their own. Just my opinions and I wish I could answer your question. I agree with ducksterman, in that they can be used in about any fishing situation you are using them for.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Bill;
    I see they are loop to loop connections. May I suggest the "Catwell" knot. Warren made a beleiver out of me!

+ Reply to Thread