+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a FL Fish-In Head count!

Default I need a FL Fish-In Head count!

Since it's just a month until the gathering, please e-me at tightloops@peoplepc.com to announce your impending presence. I need to know how much food we need for the BBQ.

Check-in will be at Casey Key Anglers & Outfitters at 820 Albee Rd. in Nokomis, just north of Venice off US41. There's a lot of construction on US41, so please be aware of that if you're bringing a large camper, etc.

We'll have free charts of the area, and updated fishing conditions from lower Tampa Bay south to Charlotte Harbor/Pine Island Sound.

BBQ at my house March 4, 6-ish. 387 Gulf Breeze Blvd., Venice. Take US41 south from Venice/Nokomis. Pass Jacaranda Blvd. (there's a Wal-Mart on that corner). Pass the next red light (Woodmere Blvd.) and turn left at the blinking light at Venice East Blvd.

Drive 6/10 of a mile. The street doglegs right, Gulf Breeze is on the left. When you reach Capri Street (on the left) press your brake pedal. You're home. Park wherever you can except for what passes for my front lawn.

Despite the recent cold snap, fishing has been superb. We still have Spanish mackerel around because the water's been so warm. Water temp dropped to 62+ last night, but it will get warmer over the next few days.

We're seeing plenty of redfish--including lots of tailers in Charlotte Harbor. Trout fishing has been very good, and we have lots of pompano.

Read my article in the current issue of Fly Fisherman magazine on night snook fishing. It's addictive. Like coke, but legal and good for you!

E-me with any questions, and pull up my web site www.tightloopsflyfishing.com for fishing reports.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

Default Florida Fish-In

Put us on your list.

Les & Judy Maynard
    Safety Harbor, Florida

I'm there.

I'm there.

Thunderthumbs.

i'm there

Default 2 from the frigid Northeast...

Hi Tony,

We probably will not make the picnic. We should be in town sometime later that evening.

Dianne & Ken

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

I plan on being there for the BBQ.

I'll be there Saturday as well but am still debating on Monday or some other day during the week. It will probably be Monday. That'll give me a 3 day weekend.

Can't do the whole week as I'm already booked for two trips to Keywest and a week to spend with the wife's sis and husband during Thanksgiving week. Plus ...

You'd think 5 weeks vacation time would be enough.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Hey Capt. Tony,

Just read your article in Fly Fisherman magazine...and, well, I can't wait to get down there and see what it's all about. I'm sure you probably don't miss it much, but I've been doing some ice fishing here in MO, so I'm looking forward to some warmer temps and the smell of the ocean...and the tug of a big fish on the end of my line.

See you soon,

Thunderthumbs.

Thunder, I've gotta tell you that if it's a tossup between augering a hole in nine-inch ice when it's 10 degrees versus cruisng the Florida flats in my supplex--no contest!!!!!

Glad you liked the article. I didn't even have to exaggerate, which is what you'll find out for yourself in just a few weeks. Night snooking is a real kick-in-the-pants!!!!

Check out the photo gallery and fly recipe dropdowns on my web site (www.tightloopsflyfishing.com) so you can tie a bunch of glass minnows and estaz shrimp before you get here.

Make sure you tie some small stuff on size 8 hooks, too. Sometimes that tiny stuff is the only thing they'll eat.

See ya soon.

Tight Loops,
    Tony

Based on the response so far, it looks like there will only be five forum members at the BBQ, plus Kevin, Kate and me.

I guess we'll be able to handle a crowd that big without much trouble. Besides, we can always mash up the thousands of acorns that fell off the live oaks and make a tasty sort-of pancake for drop-ins. If the city-rodents will let us raid their stash, that is.

Little tunny off the beach again. Chased them yesterday and marked thousands of them under the boat in 20-40 feet of water. They wouldn't rise to the challenge, however.

Even the snook weren't willing to play last night. They looked, but just one stupid one decided to eat the fly. Ah, well. Such is life.

Today it's Charlotte Harbor for redfish.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

+ Reply to Thread