+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Generation Avid

Default New Generation Avid

I searched the archives and got some info about the St. Croix Avid's...but not my specific questions.
    I am interested in the 8 1/2 or 9 ft 4 wt's. Can anyone tell me how they like theirs. Also how does the Imperial compare to the Avid?
    Thanks
    Dano

Dano, wish I could say I have fished mine and love it, but I don't even own one. I was, however, very impressed that they would take their top technology and bring it down to the Avid level. My wife and I both were very, very favorably impressed with the Avid's we cast at the last show. Hope this helps a little at least.

Thanks JC...Dan

Default I love mine

I don't know if you would call mine a "new generation" rod because I have had it 3 or 4 years now, but I absolutely love it. Mine is an Avid 908, nine foot 8 weight so much heavier than a 4 weight. I can fish Atlantic Salmon with it all day and it never tires my arm, when I do get a fish on, it performs wonderfully. One of my fishing buddies has an Imperial, 9 foot 9 weight. They are really quite similiar, the 9 weight is a little stiffer to cast larger flies and play a fish.

We both use flies in the 2/0 to 10 size (I do all the tying for myself and 3 other guys so I know what he uses). When fishing trout, I can put on a 10, 12 or 14 and the 8 weight works great, plus I use it to sling poppers and flies for smallmouth bass. So far I have yet to see it underperform.

The Avid is a little more money than the Imperial but they both fish well and are finished well.

Dwight

Default Dano

I just spent my Christmas money and bot a 8 1/2 ft. five weight St Croix for about $100. and a Trion reel. I havn't fished it yet (Weather here has been in the teens for a week)I spent a lot of time casting it in the isles of the store. I took every fly rod of the rack and cast it until I found the one that felt just right for me. I bot cortland 333+ line and backer and its all set to go. This is what happens when you get locked in for the winter. At this spending rate I should be broke by spring.

TonyC.

The year I got my rod, rather than a bunch of small gifts I asked my family and in-law family to pool their money and I would use it for a new rod. The next year I did the same and got a Teton Tioga reel, new Cortland line, backing and leader material. the year after that I did the same and got a new vest and 3 new Whiting Saddle hackles.

Oh man, this is bad trend.....

Dwight

I like the new Avid a whole lot! So much so that I just ordered the kit to build the 7'9" 4pc 3wt.

Marty

Dano

I have a new Avid 6'6" 4 wt for small streams (I think I am going to try Crane Creek weekend after next) and think it is a great rod. I am not a great caster but I can get quite a bit of line out even though it is pretty short. For the money I think they are great!

Dan

Default New Generation AVID

I am about to purchase a Avid rod. What questions do I ask or what do I look for to determine if a rod is of the "New Generation"? I am sure that there are previous models in stock. Doug

Just ask if it's the new Avid with IPC. Though I have a 9' 4pc 7wt pre-IPC Avid that I enjoy a whole lot. Very versatile, on the medium- to medium-fast side.

Marty

+ Reply to Thread