+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a fly collection?

Default Do you have a fly collection?

Hi there,

I have been organizing my "fly collection" as of late. I have half a dozen old VHS tape boxes with flies that I have acquired over the years either because they were tied by someone special/unique, obtained as a pattern reference, they are a well-tied classic,etc., you know the kind that never see water. Some of these are very simple while others are quite ornate. I would love to be able to display them somehow but am nearing about 100 different flies of all shapes and sizes. I am thinking of a wooden Oak cabinet, full of shelves about 3-4 inches apart that I can stick the flies into corks that are on the shelves and a glass panel door and hung on the wall. (something similiar to my mother's spoon collection that is in behind a glass door).

Has anyone else got something like this, I would love to see pictures if possible.

Dwight

Check flea markets or ebay for drawers that were used for offest printing letters. You can put glass doors on them and hand them on the wall.

I will see if i can find you a picture.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus
    Check flea markets or ebay for drawers that were used for offest printing letters. You can put glass doors on them and hand them on the wall.
    If you are talking about what I think you are they are called "California Job Case Drawers" and are for LETTERPRESS printing or printing using lead or zinc type.

They make great displays for all kinds of small stuff.

3EM Quads anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by "Bamboozle
    If you are talking about what I think you are they are called "California Job Case Drawers" and are for LETTERPRESS printing or printing using lead or zinc type.

They make great displays for all kinds of small stuff.

3EM Quads anyone?
    Thanks i can picture the two that i have at home but that was the best description i could come up with
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Over the years we have been givin dozens and dozens of flies, to show them off we are having a 3' x 5' shadow box made that will have a hinged door and cork pegs so the flies could be removed, there will also be a place under the fly to hold a signed card. What ever you do make sure it has a real good seal, we have a couple of shadow boxes that the bugs found a way to get into.
    Joe Fox

Yes I do. The collection is made up of hall of fame flys. They range from quanity of fish caught on one fly to the very first fish spieces I've caught and released. Buy the way my grandson has started his own collection at the age of 8. Later.

I've been in many flyswaps, and I have flies from all over the world. My grand plan is to mount them all on a world map in a shadowbox in the place where they originated. I haven't gotten it accomplished yet, but I'm not done swapping yet, either.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Over the years, I've bought 3-4 dozen flies from a famous shop located in Manchester, VT to use as models for flies I wanted to tie. I have also been given several dozen flies by friends, friendly strangers on the stream, and some wonderful FAOLers. I've saved about 6 dozen of my old flies which took some memorable fish or were retired due to old age. I guess that's a fly collection but I just keep them in a well moth-proofed drawer. 8T

Look also at flea markets etc for the cases that folks use to display demitasse collectible spoons from various and sundry sites--not really expensive. can sometimes be found in catalogues from places like Lillian Vernon, etc

Default consider having them professionaly shadow boxed

Consider having your nicest fly's put into a controlled atmosphere or shadowbox. Use a glass that will keep them from fading and if done properly the flies can be displayed in a fashion that is absolutely stunning. Granted these larger boxes take up a considerable amount of wall space but they are truly a site to behold.

If you haven't ever seen the Fly Plates that go up for auction at the FFF Conclaves your missing out. These plates are truly works of art and beautiful to behold.

Trying desperately to find a link that has pictures of past plates.
    ~~~waders~~~

+ Reply to Thread