+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Navy family - new homeport - new angling aspect - HOW?

Default Navy family - new homeport - new angling aspect - HOW?

We're a family of four and we're all anglers. Mom, the 12 yrs. old daughter and I fly and the 4 yrs. old son has is own spinning rod. In Ingleside, TX, there are trout, but they're "speckled". And, hatches are non-existent, except for those on minesweepers. We have already realized that we're at a disadvantage without being able to move quickly through the flats to hunt the reds, trout, tarpon, snook, etc. So, we're researching kayaks, primarily for flyfishing from them, but also for family outings. I'm think three - a tandem for the boy and I and gear, a smaller single for the Mrs., and another small single for the 12 yrs. old (independence is becoming more important). We've "looked" at Hobies and other kayaks and researched a grunch, but have yet to try any out - weather's been rough. As my time is at a premium, I'd like to be able to focus our efforts so that we could get out there soon! Could some of you experienced "yakers" help? Any info would be greatly appreciated, from types of kayaks/canoes to life jackets, gps, radioes and other safety gear.

Tks, in advance!

Sincerely,
    Adam M. Aycock
    LCDR USN

Default Kayaks for the family

I'm biased toward Ocean Kayaks so I'll tell you what I would get. For the wife, I would get an OK Prowler 13. It would be easy enough for her to handle, but big enough for you to go by yourself. Overall, it is an excellent fishing platform. For the daughter, I would get an OK Venus (either the 10 or the slightly larger 11). This one even comes in pink.

After that it gets tough. Tandem kayaks and fishing are not the best fit. Few of them are set up for fishing. Ocean Kayak has three that would work, the Sidekick that is designed for an adult and a small kid, but it is really to small to be workable for fishing; the Malibu Two that would probably work for you, but again, not a great fishing platform; and the Zest, which is the aircraft carrier of the line up at 17'.

One other option I can think of is (and this is probably the best one) is a Malibu Extreme with the optional front gator hatch for a child. This is a great fishing kayak, although a little on the heavy side, but very stable. Since it is designed as a single, it would be good when you go out by yourself. Most tamdem kayaks, except the OK Malibu Two, do not lend themselves to single handing.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Adam,
    My son and I fished together out of a canoe when he was younger. You might want to consider that. That way if the whole family goes out together you can carry more gear like lunch and drinks that everyone might need. The only disadvantage I've found that a canoe has vs. a yak is when you're fighting a wind. there's more for the wind to bite into with a canoe so you get blown around a bit more. You could overcome that with a trolling motor if you wanted to.
    Also check out www.paddle-fishing.com

Rusty <><

I've got the Malibu Two. I haven't used it in the ocean yet, but I have used it on several lakes and rivers with pretty good success. I don't think it's the best yak for fishing from, but you certainly can. My brother and I take turns when we're fishing. One of us paddles and gets the other into good casting position while the other fishes. It works pretty good for us, but if there was something better I'd suggest going for it instead. You will definately want to get the hard back seats if you plan on spending long days on the water. And another thing, on my model there isn't any room for storage. I don't know if they've changed anything since I bought mine five or six years ago, but that's the first thing I'd change. Other than that I've been VERY happy with it. I'm going to be modifying it (rod holders, etc) here pretty soon so I can take it to the FL fish-in and get some good use out of it.

Good luck in your search, and maybe let us know what you eventually go with and why.

All the best,

Thunderthumbs.

Default Great Info - Lots to Think On

Tks to everyone so far for their inputs. I appreciate the time you took to pass on the information and experiences. We're still researching and waiting for the weather to get better so that we can try a few different brands. We will definitely provide a report with the what and why of our decision.

V/r.
    Adam

I just realized there is a great option for you and your son. A Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5. It is sort of a cross between a kayak and a canoe, but is very stable and can be single or double handed.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Tks! After everyone's recommendations and further research, Native Watercraft has definitely worked its way into our short list of craft which we are planning on trying out.
    V/r.
    Adam

i think you should also look at a WS Tarpon and Ride.

+ Reply to Thread