I have been pondering the similarity of fly rods and golf driver marketing sales pitches. Every advertisement
tries to sell us something that provides more distance, greater speed, less spin, faster action ect. etc, etc. My question is this WHO NEEDS IT? Has another glacier gone through and widened all of the rivers in North America? OK, I am older then most of you, (55-60), but I have fished every major river in New England, and several out west, and I can't for the life of me find the need for a rod that shoots line like a cannon, other then salt water into the wind. I pulled out some Orvis and LL Bean catalogues from 1971 tonight and the all of the rods are 71/2 foot 5 wt, and 8' 6 wt. They did not offer a 9' rod back then other for a 9 weight line. I have a much easier time bringing a fish to net with an 8' rod, instead of a 9 ft rod. Why are all of the rods made by ALL of the major rod builders 9'? The same reason drivers have heads as big as pumpkins. No one wants to learn the proper techniques. How many times do you really need to cast more then 45'? How many times more then 30'? Why can't I find a 8' 6 wt new rod today? I would appreciate some feedback on this, I don't think I am alone on this one.