+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another furled leader question

Default Another furled leader question

I have been trying my hand at making furled leaders. I donot have any trouble with the furling process I cannot seem to make a loop easy in the small end of the furled leader. At the thicker end I use a shorp loop, but can not seem to make it in the thinner end. What do some of you furlers do at the tippet end?

I assume your problem is getting the knit-picker through the very small diameter tippet end of the furled leader. When I run into this problem I will take my fly tying bodkin and carefully insert through and leader and insert the knit-picker and then remove the bodkin and make the loop.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren, I can get the knit picker through but the when I try and pull this through those small loops that are made from furling it seems It will not go through them.

Bill;
    What are you making them out of?

Knit-pickers are not make round but have a flattened end. Try turning the knit-picker so the flat side runs with the leader instead of across it. This should allow it to separate the leader enough to pull the remaining through.

I assume you are making the loops like Kathy's DVD shows. I started that way but have changed to a system that to me is easier. I insert the knit-picker through the leader just like her instructions show, and then I hook the end of the leader that is on the paperclip(remove the paperclip) and pull it back through the leader, then push the knit-picker forward leaving everything to the back of the knit-picker and hook the loop that I just formed and pull it through the other part that I had at the back of the knit-picker. I then take the loop and slide it over a small dowel rod and pull it tight to form the shorb loop. Hopefully, this is clear enough for you to understand. I find doing my end loops this way is easier for me.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks, Warren. Yes I am making them as Kathy Scott's DVD. I just started furling leaders as I wanted to try them. Jack, I have made them out of 6X tippet. I have not tried uni-thread yet.

Thanks

Bill;
    Warren and I have been making leaders out of Berkley Vanish "Transition" for nymphs and Coats & Clark .005 clear Nylon for dries.
    I made my board adjustable for 5', 6'6" & 7'6" leaders.

Jack, What lb test are you using on the Berkley Vanish Transition?
    Thanks

Bill;
    4#, that's the smallest "Transition". We've done some in 2# clear Vanish. The Flourocarbon sinks like a rock!!

+ Reply to Thread