+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was bored, soooooo....

Default I was bored, soooooo....

I decided to build a wrapper BEFORE my first kit gets here. I got it cut out, fitted and stained in about 3 hours (fooled around a lot cleaning the shop so I could get to the tools), and will start the finish coats of satin polyurethane in the morning. It's not exactly what I want, but it will be more substantial than a cardboard box. The shadowing around the pictures is to hide all the "stuff" in my basement. I want everyone to think I'm neat and organized, so you can't see what it really looks like. I saw the sliding fit thread platform on someone else's homemade wrapper, and liked that idea. It slides easily from side to side, but will not twist. Simple build without any plans or dimensions, out of 1x4, 1x6, Titebond glue and 1 1/4" drywall screws. Supports will be held in place with 1/4" x 2" lg. carriage bolts with fender washer and wing nut. Still have to figure out thread tensioner. I've seen the same one on many different wrappers, and it looks like they are a purchase item, possibly from a sewing machine. They consist of a threaded stem, washers, spring and knurled round nut. Anyone know where I can find these? I can't seem to find them on the rod building sites.

Total cost to this point about $1.07. Aside from the carriage bolts and wing nuts, everything else was scrap laying around the shop, including the stain and sealer. I'm going to buy a couple of tip tops tomorrow for thread guides. Might also consider an overhead feed systen for the thread, but I'm not covinced it will help much. I guess I'll be modifying this baby after/during the first rod build.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

nice. good idea.
    I'd like a sliding thread guide thingamajigger.

the tension device can also be assembled at minimal cost from materials found at yer local hardware store. I use a tying bobbin myself, but my mentor suggests I should use a real tension device. I'm not so sure. I'm more comfortable w/ a bobbin in my hand than w. the thread running through that thing. that said he wraps much more quickly than I do.

mgj

Blog Entries

Mr. Blur,

Unless you are racing, taking a little longer to wrap isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you are comfortable with a bobbin, and your wraps are done well, it sounds like a good way to wrap.
    I started off with a bobbin, and it does have some advantages, like letting you "back up" without losing thread tension.
    I went from a bobbin, to a homemade wrapper, and then received a sulky as a gift one year. They are all effective, and have their good and bad points.

Joe,

It looks like a good homemade wrapper. There is always tweaking to be done, but it looks like you are off to a very good start.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Thanks, gents. I think I'll make a tensioner since it's still nasty outside. I found them on Cabelas website, but by the time I go through all that fooloing around, I can make it from one trip to the hardware store. Probably going to make a four-spool station just because I can. I'm going to also look at closet door rollers while I'm there to see how smoothly they roll. I keep hearing about staying away from felt because it gets in the windings, so it's either going to be rollers or teflon strips.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe;
    I have a thread in here on making a cork reamer, another tool you'll need and one that can be made in advance.
    The rod building video is in the swap box.

I just built a similar wrapper myself this week. For thread tension I went to the hardware store and bought some fender washers, a piece of 1/4" all thread, wing nuts, nylon spacers 1/4" in diameter and some springs.

I am set up for two spools at once, but I have room to add more. (I see no need at this point, but its nice to have options.) The tension is placed on the spools, which seems superior to the thread itself because there is no chance of fraying the thread with the tensioner. I also used a piece of 1/16" "music wire" as a back tension device. I would try to describe how I put it all together, but I don't think that I can do that very efficiently. I can try to take a pic if that might help.

Basically it was one stop at the local True Value hardware store (I couldn't find everything at the local Lowe's or Home Depot, namely the springs and the "music wire".) I already had the wood laying around, so that didn't factor into the cost. All told I think I spent about $20.

Tyler

Hey Joe
    How about 2mm craft foam? Works for me
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Jack,

Already saw your thread on the reamer. I have some old spinning rods that will be perfect for that. Thanks!

Tyler,

Sounds like the same setup I will be making. Thanks for the tip.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hey Joe -

I'll give you $2.14 and pay shipping. That's 100% profit - how can you beat that?

Looks just like in the catalogs.
    RST
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

Quote Originally Posted by rst
    Hey Joe -

I'll give you $2.14 and pay shipping. That's 100% profit - how can you beat that?

Looks just like in the catalogs.
    RST
    WOW! What a super deal...NOT. But thanks for the ego boost.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread