+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE BUNYAN BUG

Default THE BUNYAN BUG

Anyone tie the Bunyan Bug???

I think Flip Flop plugs glued together would work?
    http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...Fly_Tiers.html
    http://www.billingsgazette.com/outdo...13_outfly.html

KAHUNA

Here is a link to a recipe for the 3rd millenium Bunyan Bug. http://www.frontrangeanglers.com/newsle ... yanbug.htm

I wish I had kept some originals, they are worth $100 - $250 now.

Check out the Fly of the Week on this site called O2 Stonefly. Looks like a modern day Bunyan Bug.

I tied all of the flies used in the movie "A river runs through it"" I had a couple of beat up patterns to look at, but just winged it as to how I tied them.
    I used Balsa wood for the body and Polor Bear Hair for the wing. I then hand painted them. Pain in the butt. I can tell you that much. I can also tell you that the actors could not cast those flies and I had to come up with a light in weight veriosn for them. I used a very lite foam for thoe flies. The one you see hitting the water is one I tide and so are a few of the one's seen in the fly box.
    A lot of the equipment used in that movie belonged to locals around here. Ron

On the 3rd millenium Bunyan Bug page, the Bunyan Bug in the photo is one I found in an old tackle box along with a couple other minor items that I guess I paid something like four bits for. Actually, at the time, I didn't even know what the bug was other than interesting and it was unfished. I believe there were a bunch of Potts flies and other stuff like that. Anyway, they sat in a drawer for years and somewhere I saw and read about the BB. The BB is in a frame now but the other flies are still in the drawer.
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

jsut curious ronMT, how many flies did you have to tie for the film? and how were you compensated?

mgj

If I remember right I ended up tying about 3 dozen for the movie. I worked as a consultant for a large fly fishing company that paid me as they helped with the movie.
    You can believe this or not but I was also the first "Shadow Caster" To. I was asked to go down to the local park so the producer could see how casting might look on camera. We went down to the park and I stood on the old dock and started casting. He watched and then asked me to make bigger loops which I did. They kept getting bigger and bigger and he was going nut's about how great it looked. I told him is was not proper but he loved it and that is how it got in the movie. Had nothing to do with right or worng. It was how the producer liked to see the line in the air. Now that is the truth about how shadow casting got in the movie. Wrong Place at the Right Time I guess. Ron

Great story, Ron.

We have to get those recorded.

The same sloppy casting is enshrined on the cover of the paperback that came out after the movie. The cover should dispaly a warning from the Flycaster General.
    Bear742

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... rt220.html
    Also, I thought some of the casting in "the movie" was stuff that has long gone out of style, like the "figure of eight" cast and so on.

If I remember right I ended up tying about 3 dozen for the movie. I worked as a consultant for a large fly fishing company that paid me as they helped with the movie.
    You can believe this or not but I was also the first "Shadow Caster" To. I was asked to go down to the local park so the producer could see how casting might look on camera. We went down to the park and I stood on the old dock and started casting. He watched and then asked me to make bigger loops which I did. They kept getting bigger and bigger and he was going nut's about how great it looked. I told him is was not proper but he loved it and that is how it got in the movie. Had nothing to do with right or worng. It was how the producer liked to see the line in the air. Now that is the truth about how shadow casting got in the movie. Wrong Place at the Right Time I guess. :) Ron
    Glad to hear this. I have heard different. Everyone keeps telling the story of how it was Jason Borger who did all the casting and fly fishing consultation.

+ Reply to Thread