+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of watercraft for flyfishing.

Default What kind of watercraft for flyfishing.

Ok here is the big question. I am looking into purchasing a small craft just for one person to go flyfishing. It needs to be portable enough to be carried small distances to the water by one person and has to be hard shelled. Tried inflatable some time back and the places I go are too rough for that.
    Craft would be used for small lakes as well as some narrow streams. Waters are small enough to forgo electric propulsion(I also can use some exercise from time to time).

Right now I'm bouncing back and fourth between kayak and canoe but I'm open to any suggestions.
    Which one is more stable? I have boating experience but not with any of the above.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I'd choose the kayak if I only had those choices. Preferably a sit-on-top. Both types of craft are a bit "tippy" due to the narrow beam but you can still fly cast out of them without problems(once you get used to them). How about a small pram or jonboat? You can get them for short change or if you feel adventurous you could even make one yourself. They are definitely more stable.

I like a kayak in the salt, but normally I use my canoe in fresh water.
    More room to stretch out, and you can stand if you want to.
    I don't think of either of them as "tippy".
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default kayak vs canoe

Either craft would work well. There are numerous rec kayaks that weigh less than 50 lbs - the OT otter weighs 39 lbs. These would be light enough to carry some distance. If you get one of the strap on wheel setups you can pull one of these along for a good distance pretty easily. OT also makes a one person canoe called the "pack" that weighs only 43 lbs and would be just as easy to pull or carry about as a kayak. I personally use kayaks more often for the rivers and streams here in northern Arkansas. I have looked longingly at the one man canoes though.

Personal preference. Both would work well. A solo canoe would hold a bit more gear, but if you have to carry stuff very far, you won't want to bring too much gear anyway. The canoe will also get blown around more by even the slightest breeze.

If it were me, I'd go with the canoe because I've done a lot of canoeing in the past. It would have to be designed as a solo canoe, not just a short tandem canoe. World of difference. Google Hornbeck boats. Sweet.
    Tenkara Bum

Stewart, RW here

I've been using a canoe for almost 40 years now. I've owned about 7 of them in that time, but for the last 25 years when I'm alone I personally like the Old Town pack canoe. Occasionally called the trapper canoe. Twelve feet long, one seat, weights 33 pounds made of Royalite. Almost indestructable. It's rated for about a 400 pound load. You can carry it or transport it anywhere with ease. I'm 71 now and still have no trouble handling it myself. Has the sleek, classic look of O.T's guide model.

Later, RW
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I think you should also look at the Hobie Cat 75 or 60. I own the Hobie Cat 75 and just love it! Only weighs in a 33 pounds, easy to row and transport.

www.hobiecat.com

Go down their web page until you come to Hobie Fishing and then look for Hobie Cat 60 & 75

On my Hobie 75 I changed the seat to a swivel folding seat and I put an anchor system on myself.

This is just my opinion, but, I think this may be what you are looking for.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

MFinn,

You didn't place a cost limit on this choice. That will have something to do with your final decision, I imagine. A lot of us have gone through the same angst that you are now experiencing. I spent a lot of time, last year researching and trying out different canoes, kayaks and pontoons. You might want to do a search here in the BB for threads about "kayak" or "canoe." There's a lot of good advice, here, and a lot of folks passionate for their choices. In fact, the Paddling board arose from some of those discussions.

I was looking to replace my canoe and was sorely tempted by a number of kayak models. However, I have a nice problem in that my wife likes to canoe even though she doesn't fish so my choices were biased. One thing I definitely wanted was a lightweight craft. I ended up with a kevlar 16' canoe that weighs in at 38 pounds. Darned expensive but I only seem to buy a canoe every 35 years so I think it will amortize out nicely. I added a middle seat to use as a solo or when my wife goes with me we have the normal seating. I think the best advice was from a number of folks---find a dealer where you can try out the boats. Joe Hyde pointed me to a local dealer where I was able to try out boats on a local lake. In fact I went back and went through the different boats on two different occasions trying to make my final decision. I bought my canoe from this dealer and I'm very happy with my choice and have no second thoughts..... hmmmm maybe I should go ahead and get a kayak as well.....

BW

Warren P down in TN is giving you some good advice on the one man pontoon. I have one hang in my basement that I really like, a FishCat brand. I can fish a 30 acre lake without touching the oars, you could mount a trolling motor on it and just about water ski. I was at the Shallow Water Fishing Exposition in GA last week one manufacture has pontoons with casting platforms that slide under the seat and a stablizer bar that can be moved into position to allow you to stand and cast from the boat. My boat weighs about 50 lbs. and can be broken down to fit in a van but fits the back of my little Ranger pickup ready to go. I would recommend a rod rack if you use more than one rod, I dropped a flyrod in the lake when I first got the boat and was trying my hand at rowing.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

You might check out SportPal/Radisson. They have a 12 ft. canoe that's a yard wide and weighs less than 40 lbs. Lined with flotation material it also has sponsons just below the gunwales. Quite stable! The configuration won't make it a sleek paddler but it's sure useable. My wife and I fish from a 14 ft. model (after the streams are too warm to fish) and enjoy it very much. In our mid-70s, and fishing in good sized lakes, we opted for an electric motor. The little feller is wonderful.

Good luck.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread