+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warm Water Fly Contest--Day 2

Default Warm Water Fly Contest--Day 2

Day 2 is the finals for the top 25. Since they appreciate the art of fishing in all its forms, the local BASS Federation club has volunteered to provide their bass boats for the 25 finalists. The owners will serve as drivers and observers. So you will have an 18-20 fully equipped boat to fish from. They insist however that each angler be allowed to take along 5 flies--duplicates or different patterns. Also each angler gets 2 rods because,"You never see a cabinet maker who uses the same saw for every cut." The rest of the rules are the same.

Assume you make the cut. Your questions:

Do you acept the ride in the bass boat? Why or why not?

What species are you going to target and where coves, channels, points)?

What rod weights, line, and fishing set up will you try?

What flies and what sizes are you going to use?
    Bear742

I had to review my choices for the first day. I figure I'm good enough and lucky enough to make the cut. After spending Day 1 slogging through weeds, brush, mud and whatever, the answer to Question #1 is yes. It will be nice to sit up on that bow seat and cast, being basically a lazy sort. Not to mention all the bells and whistles, depth finders, foot controlled trolling motor, a big motor to get after those marauding schools of stripers and wipers. A place to store a hearty lunch and a few cold drinks, I enjoy fishing in comfort.

No change, all but the catfish and gar. As far as where, depends on the bite, but since I since I'm riding in a boat that can go so fast it would scare me bald if I weren't already bald I can hit a lot of spots. I'd spend some time in open water looking for bird activity as a key to stripers and wipers. And in hopes the lake would have some humps or reefs in the deeper areas.

The 9 ft 6 wgt rod and the three spools with floating, intermediate and depth charge lines from Day 1.
    9 1/2 foot 8 weight rod and two spools with floating and intermediate sinking.
    A straight 20 lb fluorocarbon leader.
    One addition, a stripping basket or bucket to keep the line from wrapping on cleats and trolling motors.

The size 4 Fluorescent Yellow Sneaky Pete from Day 1

A Sneaky Pete style slider tied on a 1/0 or larger hook. Fire Tiger color. The fly's about 4 inches long.

A White Spey Fleye, 6 inches long.

A Mirror Image PB Shad, 4 inches long

The 5th will either be a Crease style fly in Tennessee Shad color or a buck tail Deceiver in sunfish colors. They'll be around 3 or 4 inches long.

So far it looks like Philly and I will be the only ones in the final round. Because this is just a ?what if,? I will give away my secrets.

Do you accept the ride in the bass boat? Why or why not?

Yes. It is a great platform for fly fishing. And is has many other advantages.

Large Mouth Bass starting at points and moving into or out of coves based on what the fish say.

I will stay with the 9? for 9 and add an 8.5? for 9. Lines are -WF9F and WF9FS (high density). Leaders are fluorocarbon and mono leaders with 8-12# tippets. As allowed by the rules a kit of misc. lead, brass, chrome, strike detectors, Stick guards, etc. will come along.

I will keep the 1/0 4? Grey Hare Worm as my finesse bait.
    A 2/0 Black and White Diver will be my Pop-R, Buzz Bait, and One Minus.
    A 4? Chartreuse/White Clouser will be my Crank Bait.
    A 3/0 Badger McNally Magnum (6-7?) will be my Jerk Bait.
    A. 3/0 6? Black/Red magnum strip Double Bunny will by my Senko.

Last minute thought ?

I may sub a 1/4 oz. Black/Red Hammerin Hare Jig for the Double Bunny depending on my read.

Parting thought.

For my part the 5 fly event feels better since it involves less compromise. One-fly has its place in Fly Casting Triathlons-accuracy, distance, and one-fly. It forces the expert casters to prove that they can fish too. But I have not heard of it being used as a stand alone event. Now I have to tie some Divers and Double Bunnies.
    Bear742

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Bear,

I'll take a shot at the final round especially since I've only got a couple of people to beat for the championship. You can have my name put on that trophy now just to save time

I would definitely accept the boat ride from the BASS member. I use to be one of these guys and while I was never particularly outstanding, as a group they are some pretty sharp fishermen. I would take any fishing suggestions that they wanted to offer and would not hesitate to ask for advice

I would start working the cover along the shoreline and pay particular attention to long points of land that run into the water. I would make a special attempt to fish bridges and the rip rap around them. I would also work over the rip rap and concrete area of boat landing if they weren't too busy with boat traffic. Channels in my neck of the woods are a little too deep to be much fun to fish with a fly rod but if we were on a shallow lake, I would certainly give them a try.

I would select the two rods that I regularly use on lakes when I fish from my little row boat. Nothing hypothetical here! One rod would be a mid-flex nine foot, nine weight with floating line and a braided leader with 15 pound tippet. The other rod would be similar but would have a fast sinking line and 5 feet of 15 pound Stren for a leader.

For my flies, I would select two Clousers which I fully expect to lose to snags at some point. Both would be tied on 1/0 gold bait hooks so they could be pulled loose from snags and bent back to shape. My colors would be brown back/orange belly and wild olive back/clear belly.

I would want two Gurgle Pops. One tied on a 1/0 hook with green foam back/white belly and green/white feathers and bucktail tail, making the whole fly at least 5-6 inches long. My second GP would be tied in a #8 hook and would be a standard chartreuse gurgle pop.

My final fly would be a woolly worm with a red tail, yellow body and grizzly hackle. I would go to this for big brim if the bass were hard to find. It would also be an effective fly for LMB in the 1-2 pound size

Note: The Clousers would serve double duty. They could be dredged deep for LMB or fished on floating line for schooling stripers and hybrids.

Remember to engrave that trophy to Eight Thumbs not 8T!

8T,

That is a nice rundown on how a local would do it.

You said,"I would take any fishing suggestions that they wanted to offer and would not hesitate to ask for advice." If I recall rightly, that would earn you a DQ on a tournament day in a BASS event. I am not sure if FASS has the same rule.

I hate to say it, but I hope we get a few more finalists this week end.
    Bear742

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Me too, Bear. I think all our Warmwater friends are either out fishing down South or hibernating up North . 8T

+ Reply to Thread