+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally Found It

Default Finally Found It

I can't believe that there is a group of fly anglers....just like me. I always thought I was an in-betweener, one of those odd ducks that would never be one nor the other. (At this point you're wondering if some nut case has jumped on here!) I am referring to that perfect little seam between the riffles and the shallows in the social and ethical river of fly fishing. (was that kind of...fem?)
    I've been a fly fisherman for about 10 years now (though I'm still a young buck). I never really bought into the "elitism" like many anglers in my native state of Utah (oh how I miss that state!!) and the surrounding states in the west. But I always felt like a fly fisherman/woman was something special, someone to be respected and reveered. Finally, after reading many articles and a few posts here in the bulletin board, I realize that I am not the only one.
    It is refreshing to see so many who are enthralled with the idea of standing alone against a raging river or creeeping in the tall grass to a meandering stream in search of self-betterment and perfecting a skill, while holding the utmost revernece for mother nature. I just want to say way to go, good on ya, and right on dude. (told ya I was young.)
    I look forward to sharing what limited knowlegde I have and learning a ton from you guys. Oh, and some advice I'd give is represent the sport and the rest of us with class and dignity, and take a few minutes to enjoy nature. I had a high school biology teacher who used to say, "The answers to your questions you'll find in nature." I absolutley agree.
    Leave No Trace

Wild One
    Welcome aboard! Come on up to Grayling this July for the Fish- in and put some faces to the names.

Jack, I absolutley plan on it. I read the report from last year's, and it looked incredible! I'll be signing up as soon as it comes available.
    Leave No Trace

Wild One
    The Fish-In will run from July 2nd to the 8th.
    How would you be staying? Motel or camping?
    Gates Lodge has openings (a sponsor) and there are several other choices. Kneff Lake is a nice campgrounds just down the road from Gates' Lodge.

I'll be in tent city and would have it no other way. I doubt I can convince my wife to go fishing for the 4th, but I'll plan on being there for the weekend at least. Maybe it will be my 6 month old's first fly anlging outing. He'll be 1 year that month.
    Leave No Trace

If'n you camp at Kneff lake make sure everything on your car is bolted down tight and that goes for your filling's too.
    Bill

Wild One;
    Bill is refering to the section of Stephans Bridge Road that leads to the Kneff Lake Campground. It only took 5 days for it to eat my muffler!! They Grade(?) it on Monday and by Wed. it's a 5 mph 1 mile drive from you know where!!! The roads in the campground are paved (USFS).
    The campground has pressure water outlets but no power or showers. The lake and beach are very nice and the lake is stocked with trout.

Sounds like a ton of fun. Maybe I'll put some crazy stiff shocks on the car and a sweet lift or something. I've been on a lot of crazy roads in Southern Utah, had the Toyota corolla on some 4 wheeler trails, so we'll see what we can do. And showers, nah who needs em. Nothing says wake up like a 45 degree dip in the lake.
    Leave No Trace

There are some of the "elite" attitudes here(like you'd find anywhere) but a lot of us use other kinds of rods and lures and (heaven forbid) even live bait.............. lightning strikes, killing Big Bad Wulff.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

BBW?!?!?!? Say it ain't so!! Either to the "elite" attitudes, different rods, live bait, or the lightening strike!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread