When you are sitting around watching the news, please remember this letter. There is another side to this. This was written just before my middle son left for his second tour. He is joing his older brother who is all ready there.

Friends and Family,

As most of you know I am returning to Southwest Asia to support Operation Iraqi Freedom a second time. I have called as many of you as I could over the past week, I just didn?t get to call everyone. I want to thank you all for your support during the last deployment and leading up to this deployment.

Over the past few days I have been growing very excited about the opportunities in Iraq. The Iraqi People, with the help of Multi-National Forces have recently pulled off the unthinkable, the first real democratic elections in decades. It is very exciting for me to head over at this point in history and support the formation of a new democratic government. I knew that this was the goal we were working towards during my last trip, but it was still a distant goal, we couldn?t really get our minds around it at the time. The 1st Cavalry Division has spearheaded a tremendous effort over the past 10 months, with the help of thousands of other US, foreign and Iraqi soldiers, to get the Iraqi People to this election.

I really feel like things in Iraq have turned a corner and I am pumped up about helping out with Iraq?s next big challenge. As most of you know, I will probably be putting my education plans on hold for this trip to Iraq. There is nothing in the world that I see as a more appropriate reason for putting those plans on hold than the drafting of an Iraqi constitution and the roots of democracy in the Middle East.

Please remember that for ever service member killed in Iraq there was a school opened, power and running water to a new neighborhood or even 10 to 20 insurgents killed. I hope that when each of you watches the news from Iraq you focus on the high points, and the good news; please do not get wrapped around the negative points, they are not the full story.

Thank you all for your support, you are all in my prayers. I have to go get on a plane.

God Bless,

Capt. Morgan Dugan