+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catoctin Mountain region, MD

Default Catoctin Mountain region, MD

Anticipating our first real snowfall this year, I headed west and fished a small stream located about 10 miles north of Frederick, MD to catch a few brookies. The day started out slowly, as air temps were barely 20 degrees and water temp was about 37. Got on the water about 9:30 AM with a buddy, caught a half-dozen between the two of us and lost a few more. Only one fish hit the indicator, a good sign that going subsurface was the right thing to do. Around 12:30, my friend left, and I headed upstream in search of some fresh spots. I'd never been upstream of where we stopped shortly after noon...

Turned out to be one beautiful plunge pool after another, each one yielding a fish or two (or five, in one case). Ended up releasing over 2 dozen, most of which were around 4 inches, a few pushing 6. Most fish took #14-#18 BH PTs tied on scud hooks, while a few took green weenies in various sizes and configurations. Some really nice fish, despite the cold.

Started snowing around 1 PM, coated everything but the water. What a treat! Drove home around 3, sadly to see many cars off the road around Frederick. Icy conditions all over...made it home to Baltimore in one piece. And watched football the rest of the day...

Marty

MFTG,
    Thanks for your report! It looks like you had a great time!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Marty,
    10 miles north...hum...not quite to Thurmont....First stretch of water that Matt and I hooked into wild brookies. Don't know how far you went up or which branch, but always fish. Fella that used to own the last store/greasy spoon before heading up into the hills used to serve up some dynamite bar-b-que, I envy your opportunities to get out. They ain't big, but they fight like they are monsters!
    Cheers,
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Mike,

I distinctly remember the story that you and Matt told me about that place. I fished the "west" branch yesterday, but about 2 months ago I had a whole day and fished both of them. I fancy myself the brookie whisperer these days (which couldn't be farther from the truth!!!), and heeded your advice about that stream system. I should have thanked you and Matt in the original post!

You know, it's amazing that I had been to that park twice before I ever fished it - rock climbing, before I got bit real bad by the fishin' bug. I fished the main branch pretty far up, it has to be one of the prettiest places in this area and since you can't get up there as often, I'll fish it for you! Sound like a deal? Next time you guys are up, we should take a trip out there and have a brookie bash!

Take care, and I owe you for turning me onto the stream - I just recalled that you spoke highly of it, though I had no idea where it was. I'll PM you with some additional info...

Marty

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

MFTG keep the reports comeing, all I can do is live vicariously through you all that are lucky enough to live in the lower 48 where it is warm right now and rivers not frozen.
    Looks like you had a great day Char are Beutiful fish

Is a cool little stream. The club stock rainbows in there too and youll get one every once in a while. Ive seen fish rising in that reservoir also, I wish it were fishable.

Nice.

Right up the road from me ... you're killing me!

That's OK. I was working and I'll bet I had as much fun with my laptop and paperwork, as you had with your rod and those brookies.

Good to see someone got out!

Dave

Dave,

PM me if you get some time to hit the streams. Always glad to meet up with a fellow addict.

MikeL,

I know the DNR stocks rainbows in both the upper and lower sections of the creek, the put-and-take notices are all over the place! Last time I was out there I saw a few rainbows that were left over from the October stocking, but didn't trick any into a take. There are a few fair-sized brookies in there, but I think there are bigger fish (albeit fewer) in BHC.

Marty

A buddy got a 14" brookie in there. I kid you not. He thinks it came up from the reservoir.

In BHC or in F Creek? I spooked a nice fish in Little F when I was there in early December. Don't know if it was a stocked rainbow that went up there, or a brookie. I DOUBT many rainbows make it up very far in Little F - the fish I saw was about 1/2 mile up from the confluence.

Dang, 14"? Guess I know where I'll be going next weekend

Let me know if you have any interest in poking around out there. I know there's another nice stream out that way, lots of brookies, never fished it (Little T.).

Marty

+ Reply to Thread