+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Winged wet fly swap.....complete

barry,

by the time you finish the swap flies that wing will be old hat and second nature. once you learn it, it's not so tough.

very nice fly.

mgj

Quote Originally Posted by gadabout
    Quote Originally Posted by bjanzen
    Here is the Grizzly King I will be tying. This is one of 6 I have tied so far......I have never tied this type of wing. I sware the traditional classic feather wing is easier than this flank feather.

Barry
    Oops. Didn't Andy already sign up for the Grizzly King?
    Yes Andy did sign up with that fly, but I will allow for two swappers to do the same fly, it will be interesting to see different tyers takes on the same fly.

bjanzen your flys look great. I personally have more trouble with traditional feather wings over flank wings. I just find flank feathers more forgiving and less prone to mashing with clumsy fingers. I discoverd a while ago that even flank wings that didn't turn out perfectly still look pretty good, and still catch lots of fish Isn't that what matters anyways?

-Hillard

Quote Originally Posted by mr. blur
    barry,

by the time you finish the swap flies that wing will be old hat and second nature. once you learn it, it's not so tough.

very nice fly.

mgj
    I wish that was true.....I finished up last night and never got the fibers to all curve back the way I wanted them to. I will post some photos and show you my results.

Barry

Hillard,

Sorry for picking a double....I thought I checked the list carefully. It wasn't intentional. I made a list of five flies that I wanted to try and this was the one I chose. I really wanted to do a nice quilled wing traditional pattern but my feather collection didn't allow it (at least not a dozen of them)

<<<<<I personally have more trouble with traditional feather wings over flank wings. I just find flank feathers more forgiving and less prone to mashing with clumsy fingers.>>>>>>

Maybe I was doing it wrong.....How are the feather for the wing prepped? Fold,clip,strip?????

Barry

Here is one way I have seen this Grizzly King tied. I received this as an extra in another swap. This is my tie.

This is my version with a quilled wing.....I find this quite easy. Just didn't have enough feathers for it.

Here is one for the swap....notice how the fibers go every direction. Just couldn't get it looking perfect. Any tips?

Here is the look I was going for......

Hi Barry....to get the wings to look like the last fly you posted, you have to treat the flank just as you do the duck quill. In other words, the flank wings should be "slips" from a right and left feather, tied on with a pinch. Hope this helps.....Jason

That makes sense to me. All I can say it looking great. The variation is exactly why I feel it ok to allow two of the same pattern. _hillard

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom
    Hi Barry....to get the wings to look like the last fly you posted, you have to treat the flank just as you do the duck quill. In other words, the flank wings should be "slips" from a right and left feather, tied on with a pinch. Hope this helps.....Jason
    Jason,

Thanks for the tips.....I still have you beautiful Christmas fly hanging at my tying table. If only I could tie half a good as you do.

I have tried the slips technique but the fibers break each other when pressed together or if I manage that part... they split when I tie them in. The web just doesn't seem to hold....yes I have tried longer webby feathers with the same results. Should I pinch less when tying in with the soft loop?

Barry

jason's advice is spot on.

it also helps to have really good feathers to work with. I learned how to do it tying spey wings. talk about a butch to learn.

in time you'll get it down. hours and hours of practice have that effect. everything is hard before it becomes easy.

not likely that yer soft loop is pinched to tightly.

good luck and stick w/ it.

mgj

I just updated with who has shipped thier flys to me, If You have shipped your flys and I missed your post OR you just haven't informed me yet just let me know so I can update the swap progress.

-HIllard

+ Reply to Thread