HI Rod Builders on FAOL,

I am interested in building a fly rod. Actually I?m interested in ?learning? if I want to build a fly rod, and that is the reason for the title post. I plan on jumping out of the rat race next winter, and I?m not big about sitting on my duff. I have been thinking about building a rod for some time and next winter may just be the perfect time. So would like to ask your assistance.

Is there a book out there that would walk me through the steps of ?graphite? rod building? It probably wouldn?t hurt if the book followed along the lines of ?Rod Building for Dummies? or something like that.

I get Cabelas Tackle Craft and if one can believe the back side of the front cover, rod building is a "no brainer." Well it may be?.. but I feel there is more to it than that, to get the results I am looking for. If I?m going to do this I want to get to the point that I can equal or exceed factory standards.

I have 3 grandsons that will need a rod or two in about 7 or 8 years, and I would really like to build them myself. If this is as much fun and satisfying as I think it will be, I would like to get a few rods under my belt and then try something a little fancy.

I?ve got a million questions but don?t want to flood this BB with all that at this point. A good book recommended by one of you experienced rod builders would be a great start.

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.

Bob T.

PS> I?m going to start a ?word doc? with all my questions and then when some "brave - rod building - soul" volunteers to answer my questions I?ll hit them all at once.