+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pflueger Trion ?

Default Pflueger Trion ?

Why is it that every time I type the word "Pflueger" I'm not quite sure that I've spelled it correctly?

Just before the snow started to fly I bought a 5/6 Trion and the purchase was based solely on the way it felt/worked in my hand while I was messing with it at the sales counter. I was totally impressed with the function and the aesthetics of the thing ... so much so that I went back a month later and bought another in the 3/4 size.

Quick question ... I rarely see any comment about those reels on any website or FF bulletin board. Are there any experienced FF's out there who'd care to comment on the reels? (I'm a relative newbie who's been using a couple of totally-adequate $140 rod/reel/line packages.)

I'm not looking for someone to validate my decision ... just feedback on the reel's performance ... its strengths, foibles, overall reputation ...

I mostly trout fish in small/medium rivers in the foothills of the Rockies in SW Alberta ... the Crowsnest area.

BTW, I've upgraded to some nice used rods to match the Trions.

Many thanks,

Ron

Ron,

Pfleuger as been making fishing tackle since before most of us were born.

Fly reels are simple devices and competant manufacturers have pretty much figured them out a long time ago.

For your type of fishing, the reel itself isn't critical to the equation as far as presentation or fish fighting goes.

All of the Pfleuger Trion reels I've handled were well made and smooth. They even look nice.

I'd say you got a decent reel that should work for you for many years of fishing enjoyment.

What you tend to see 'talked about' on places like this are the high end 'expensive' manufacturers and the 'cheap' end ones. The constant and ever present battle between 'look at me, I spent lots of money' and 'look at me, I didn't'.

Then you have guys like me, the 'look at me, I'm wise' types.

It's just fishing. NONE of it matters much.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hi Buddy,

Good point, duly noted!

Then you have guys like me, the 'look at me, I'm wise' types.

Like me too, I like to think. That's why (as I wrote) I tracked-down some primo second-hand rods at excellent prices.

Biggest catch? A 99.99% Scott G2 for $275.

Yup, I am aware that a reel is the least important piece of gear for the kind of ff'ing that I do ... but on these long cold winter nights it feels good just to take it out ... look at it ... turn the handle ... adjust the drag ... turn the handle some more ... dial back the drag ... turn the handle and listen to the tick-tick-tick ... remove the spool ... attach the spare spool (click) ... mull on the phrase "oily smoothness" ... pour a second rum-and-coke ... do it all again.

Thanks for the fast response.

And for the way you spelled P*****er

Ron in Winnipeg

Hi Ronnie D

I got you by one, I bought one used it and bought two more. Two were 3/4 and one 7/8 for steelhead. My local shop didnt sell them so I bought them off of EBay for $95.00.I didnt like the little ticker and took it off with a screw driver. I have used my J- Ryalls for 10 years but I like the large arbor better.

My report
    John
    Fish like predator.

I don't personally fish with a Trion; however, my fishing partner does.

It is interestting that I purchased a Orvis Midarbor reel and he purchased the Trion at the same time. His was about $50 dollars less than mine.

We started looking at the reels and found out they are the same. I could interchange my spool with his and vice versa -- the insides/guts look identical and the overall reel exteriors are very similar.

So, if I had to do it all over again and I wanted a reel in this price range and quality, I would buy the Pfleuger and save the money. As it stands right now, I feel like i screwed myself by not shopping around.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman
    We started looking at the reels and found out they are the same. I could interchange my spool with his and vice versa -- the insides/guts look identical and the overall reel exteriors are very similar.
    thats because these reels are the same made off the same design and same drag. Its funny the O word sells theirs for $30 more.

I have the O one myself got it with a free line that made it worth it. This reel is not bad at all I landed a few 26inch fish this year The reel worked like a champ

I got one for christmas...i havent used it but it looks nice. I got it in 7/8 model for pike and catfish on recommendation from a guy at the local fishing store
    who uses the identical reel under a different brand (Streamside).

Oh, I just realized your from Manitoba. I got it at WHolesale Sports from Stu Thompson. You might know him.

Default Clones in Canada too ...

Hi guys,

A Canadian sports distributor also sells an identical reel. Called the Streamside Harmony, it retails for about $20 more.

They're obviously made in the same factory. The spare spools are exactly the same and interchangeable, but there are three differences ...

- The first is minor and cosmetic. The laser-engraved names are (obviously) different, and the CNC-machined lightening "cutouts" on the frame are slightly different. No big deal, either way ...

- The drag nob on the Streamside (a newer design) is grippier and much easier to adjust. Its rim has sharp machined grooves on the outside edge, whereas the Trion has several finger-sized half-dimples. A big deal ... if I ever (please God) get into a big fish!!

- Factory support on the Pflueger seems far better. After a few months of waiting I abandoned my efforts to get a spare spool from the Streamside distributor, and got one within a few weeks from the Pflueger people. A big deal...

You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

Ron

Hi Alex,

Yes ... I got mine there too. You must have been responding while I was writing my posting!!

I also wrote about this on the FFM website.

Ron

Blog Entries

I decided to step up my reel, and budgeted about $150 for the job. After lots of research and question asking, I ended up picking up the Trion AND a spare spool for less than my budget, and have been very happy with my reel ever since. Good choice.
    Pair your Trion up with a DanCraft or Batson rod, and you have one of the best "bang for the buck" combos out there.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread