+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little rods 6' to 7'

Default Little rods 6' to 7'

I have had it in my mind for a while that a shorter/lighter rod might do me some good. Most of what I have is 8"6 to 9" in stages 3 to 6 weight.
    I have been figuring that a shorter/smaller rod would give me advantages over what I have been using. I fish primarily in south east Mo. in some of the smaller rivers (Current for example)and just seem to have too much rod for most spots.
    Am I off base with this thought.
    I like a 9' for places that have larger open spaces where a longer reach comes in handy (i.e Lake Tanycomo) .
    Any thoughts? 6' 2 wt? 6 1/2' 2wt? What are some good(to read "modestly priced,under $200)smaller rods . Keep in mind that bambo is out of the question . Im not worthy/good enough and dont have that kind of capital.

nighthawk Guest

A 6' to 7'6" rod is a really nice addition to your arsenal. I have found that having rods of various lengths increases the areas where I can take fish. Here in Pennsylvania we have a lot of small limestone native trout streams with low hanging over head cover. A short rod of the lengths you are looking to buy is almost a must to fish these streams. A quick look at hook and hackle web site revealed several rods of this length and weight for under $200.00.

http://www.hookhack.com/flyrods.html

By the way, don't give up on the boo. I have seen some mighty fine banty type rods made from old Monties, H & I and so forth that were bought at yard sales. I have also seen some nice small stream boo sold by members of this site for very reasonable prices.

I sold a little Fenwick 6' 5 wt glass rod to RG a couple of years ago. Every time he tells me how much he likes the rod I kick myself.

Default A 6 1/2 foot softy

This rod is an odd choice, but one I have fished successfully - an Eagle Claw 6 1/2 foot Feather Light. It casts well with a 5 or 6 weight line. I like a heavier line in close quarters because there is often very little of it outside the rod guides. This rod certainly meets your price criteria - you see them all the time on eBay for $15!

Downside - it's a fiberglass, slow action rod. It's not a distance casting rod. And a rod this ssllooooww isn't for everyone. But at 6.5', it's not too heavy to handle.

Upside - it's very rugged, it throws a short line very well, and you can roll cast with it. And did I mention that it's cheap? If you do break it in those close quarters you won't cry.

Probably more important than your rod choice, is to practice your roll casting. You may get away with the rods you already have by relying on roll casting.

Tom

(The Fenwick FF605 is a nicer short glass rod - grab them if you can! But they aren't available as cheaply as the Eagle Claw. Unfortunately, Fenwick doesn't make them anymore so you have to buy one on the secondary market.)

perch,

Remember when you say shorter/lighter rods you do not need to drop down in rod line weight. You say you are using 3wt to 6wt in 8'6" and 9'. You can still get shorter rods and keep the same line weights. For instance, I have a 7 foot rod called "The Little Trout Special" that is made by the Maine Fly Rod Company and it is rated for 5/6 weight line. I have only used it twice and really do not know why I have it.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I found this rod at BPS and I like it a lot and it only cost me $99, White River Fly Shop? Classic Ultralight Fly Rod WR-6333. It is a 6'3" 3 pc 3wt. It is fun to fish with and it cast well. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

You might want to go to yhr Global dorbeR site,
    http://www.dorber.com/flyrods.html

Scroll down the page a little way until you come to the information on "li'l streamer" rods. Many have said good things about them.

Bob ...

I don't know what they usually/did cost new, but I picked up a Scott SAS(think thats it) 6' 3wt on clearance for $150. and love it. I wish I could fish it all the time. Casts great, light in the hand and makes fish a heck of a lot more fun.

Adam

I bought a St Croix Avid in 6'6" 4 wt and really like it. There is a river in southern Oklahoma (Blue River) and it has some small brushy sections and I bought it for that. Even though it is short it will lay out some line too, if you get to bigger water.

Dan

found myself a dandy 6'6" 3 wt. bamboo for $55.00. I love fishing dry flies with it. It was built from a longer rod using the middle and top sections. It is a delightful rod to cast and fish with. Have fun on your search.

+ Reply to Thread