+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking lessons

Default Taking lessons

Hi folks,

I've been procrastinating about trying fly-tying for the LONGEST time now, but that's about to change. A local fly shop, called Lake Erie Ultimate Anglers, offers three straight days of tying classes for beginners. Each class takes 2-3 hours, with vises AND material provided. The whole thing costs a whopping $20 for all of it. Hard to believe it's that inexpensive. How much of a sales pitch there will be to buy product from them at the end remains to be seen, but it's a pretty nice store. If I'm happy with what I learn and decide to get into this hobby, I'm sure I'll buy some items from them. It really sounds like a great way to "get the feet wet" without spending lots of cash first. Starts next Tuesday night, and I'm looking forward to it.

Does anyone have anything like this in their area? If so, how did you like it? Hoping to get hooked on this, especially for something to do in the cold winter months.

-Padron-

That's how I got started and have never regretted it

What are you waiting for jump in with both feet . I am a member of a local Fly Fishing club and we have classes in tying that go on for about a month 3hrs/wk and there great .

The lessons at my local fly shop were one of the best investments I ever made. While I can't speak for your local shop, pressure to purchase materials was none existent at my location. You were free to buy or not, no big deal. Unfortunately I found the temptation to get the materials needed to tie the flies we did in class overwhelming.

Since we were tying patterns of local insects and I knew I'd use what I tied it became a real no brainer for me. The class de-mystified the mechanics, the proper use of the assorted tools and the various techniques we used to make the flies we tied. I also found the discussion of the various material used (and why we were using them) to be very helpful in making future decisions.

Unfortunately it's been a slippery slope ever since. My wife has suggested I get involved in some 12-step program for those hopelessly addicted to chicken feathers.

Have fun, enjoy the experience. I found a whole other dimension to the hobby once I started tying. I hope it's as good for you as it has been for me
    Joe Bertolini

A member of our club decided about 4 years ago to get an informal tying group started on Monday nights during Jan. Feb. and March to fill fly boxes for the summer, learn new patterns from each other, and teach beginners the basics in a very informal, non-threatening, non-commercial way. it has gone over very well. He reported tonight that in the last 3 weeks the've been averaging about 18 people each night. Held at one of the American Legion posts here in Fort Wayne where he is a member. They let them use a corner of a big room for no charge. Works out great and over the years there have been many absolute newbies, never touched a bobbin before, htat have learned how to tie their first Wolly Bugger at this group. Check around with clubs in your area, maybe one of them offers the same sort of thing.

Blog Entries

Who's turn is it to send the new addict one of those little, Brauns dubbing mixers, er, coffee grinders?

Warning to Padron: Flee now for you will never have so good a chance to avoid the addiction.

BTW, yesterday one of my co-workers was telling me about the time that his wife got the coffee grinders confused.
    Fuzzy coffee, yum.

regards,
    Ed

A few years after I took up fly fishing, much later in life than I wish I had ? but that?s another story, I decided to take the plunge to tie my own flies when another fly fisherman showed me the fly he was using, that was hot on a local stream. He gave me one, and I started catching more fish too. The fly was one he had tied, it didn?t have a name, and wasn?t one you can find in a store. I immediately took a class at a local fly fishing shop, one fly an evening, once a week over seven weeks to learn the basics and have never regretted it. To start with when I didn?t know how involved I wanted to get I and a couple other tying students would buy and split some of the materials we needed to tie the flies that we had just learned. From there I brought my vise to the monthly TU meeting where a member demonstrated a different fly every week. I was then hooked, found FAOL and started tying a couple of just about every new fly of the week and most of the flies in Al Campbell?s lessons. Now I mostly tie about a dozen different patterns to replace the ones I loose (a lot) and I have just taken up being the fly demonstrator at the TU meeting (http://www.nvatu.org/) when the previous demonstrator moved away. I get to the meeting early and start tying my replacement flies and just show each tier what I?m doing as they arrive so that the earliest to arrive get to tie two or three flies vice just one. I also offer enough material, if they need it, to tie a few more flies at home. That way maybe I?ll actually use up some of the boxes and boxes of fly tying material I?ve accumulated over the past few years to tie every new interesting pattern I?ve found in a magazine or on the many fly-tying websites and will never be able to use the materials up in one lifetime, ha! When I go to a fly fishing show I spend most of my time watching and talking to those who are demonstrating fly tying, and pick up new or different tying techniques. Next you will start collecting and/or borrowing from the library, fly tying books and videos. Hopefully your fly shop rents some videos as it is a great way to see and learn from some of the best tiers around. In ending there is nothing, well almost nothing, more relaxing then tying up a few flies before going to bed. Tying a few flies a couple times a week keeps you in practice and the cares of the day just melt away as you dream about the fish you will be catching with the flies you are tying

If your boots dry out between fishing trips you are not fishing enough! Unfortunately mine are now bone dry!

Good Luck!
    John

Yep tying is a good hobby to get into and I personally find enjoyment in tying many patterns. I took classes and became friends with the shop owner and we spent many a winter day or evening in discussions over the art of both tying and fly fishing. I have many fond memories of fly fishing which have helped my sanity remain stable and tying is a off shoot of this sport.
    Hobo

Blog Entries

Hi Padron, I have been tying for a couple of years mostly learned on my own. I do have a couple of videos that helped.

I don't have a rotary vice, so yesterday I ordered a renzetti traveler rotary cam lock . It will be here in 10 days cabelas promised.

So I went to rotaryflytying.com . I Liked what I saw and subscribed to their program for $25.00 per year.

http://rotaryflytying.com/

they have 72 different patterns of flies on video with step by step instructions on how to tie them using a rotary vice. I am amazed at how easy they make it look. for the $25 bux you can watch your choice of pattern any time you want , you can also download them onto your computer. You have to have cable tho because dial up is too slow and just won't work. They are good quality video clips easy to see and follow.

I learned a ton of information just watching some of the vids . I am convinced that rotary is the way to go. You will probably learn that on your first lesson.
    Now I can't wait for my renzetti to arrive.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Fatman Guest

Padron,

I started that way 3 years ago by taking a class, they were free every other Saturday morning and most of the time it was just show up.

Most times I was the only one there and the class's were great!!!!!!!!! They are my local shop and I've gotten to know the owner and employees very well. It's always hi how ya doin when I go in and I always spend more time talking to the gang than what it took to buy what I went for.

Man for $20 bucks that is still really cheap, and even if they try to promo for sales after no big deal.

Take the class's and enjoy.

Fatman

+ Reply to Thread