Bonefish are so transitory anyway, and so much of bonefishing is dependant upon tides, that it would be difficult to realize the benefit of limiting access to a particular flat, unless that territory was in fact nursery water. I know baby tarpon seek out mangrove areas until they're more mature. Not sure about young bonefish.

Josko, where did you fish on Andros? I thought Andros was impossible for DIY angling.

Maybe all this alludes to a very real need for more affordable bonefishing vacations. Instead of $3,000 for a week of DIY angling, maybe we need a few more lodges offering the same for half that price...make the accommodations clean, but simple...same for the food. No need for five-star service and fine dining on a fishing vacation.

The vigilante attitude will eventually backfire on those who feel compelled to drive DIY anglers off the fishing grounds. Eventually, these anglers are going to go elsewhere for their vacations. These hostile types must understand that they're not the only ones concerned here...storekeepers, hotels, restaurants, liquor stores...they all benefit from our dollars.

I like the idea of lodges offering packages for two or three days of guided fishing, with a few days of DIY angling. No way the DIY angling is going to affect the fish the way guided fishing does simply because DIY anglers have limited access to the fish. But for someone who only gets to the salt once a year, those two or three days of fishing on their own can be so rewarding and enlightening.

Just an opinion.

Fred