+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior moment !

Default Senior moment !

A STUNNING SENIOR MOMENT

A very self-important ND freshman attending a recent home football
    game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen alum sitting next to him
    why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his
    generation.

"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one,"
    the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The
    young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space
    travel, man walking on the moon, our spaceships have visited Mars. We have
    nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed
    processing .....and," pausing to take another drink of beer.

The Senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and
    said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were
    young........so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little p***k, what
    are YOU doing for the next generation?"

The applause was resounding...

I love senior citizens !!!!!

Mark

Wonderful. Ever wonder what will become of our current 'younger' generation? Do you ever want to say, "Like pull your pants up, turn your hat around and GET A JOB."

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher
    Wonderful. Ever wonder what will become of our current 'younger' generation? Do you ever want to say, "Like pull your pants up, turn your hat around and GET A JOB."
    I think "they" said that about my generation in the 60's. Hmmmm... seems most of us finally grew out of it, strightened our acts out and turned out to be productive individuals. Ya gotta love 'em right where they're at. Once they get old they'll be old forever. I know...

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Re: Senior moment !

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    A STUNNING SENIOR MOMENT

A very self-important ND freshman attending a recent home football
    game, took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen alum sitting next to him
    why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his
    generation.

"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one,"
    the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The
    young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space
    travel, man walking on the moon, our spaceships have visited Mars. We have
    nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed
    processing .....and," pausing to take another drink of beer.

The Senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and
    said, "You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were
    young........so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little p***k, what
    are YOU doing for the next generation?"

The applause was resounding...

I love senior citizens !!!!!

Mark
    Wouldn't it be great to have amind that worked that quickly!?!? I'm pretty keen on us too!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Mark,
    I LOL! As Joe alluded to, these young folks today will almost certainly invent & create beyond the imaginations of us "old fogeys"! I just pray their creations make the world a better place for their children.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Some know me and how old I am----this is my slogan "Time spent with kids on the water makes the world a better place and old age more bearable"-------BILL

Young people are up against obstacles we never had. My first house cost $25,000. My first NEW truck cost $2,500.00. I thought my car insurance was high, $500.00 a year.
    It's a brutal world for our kids to grow up in. It takes more than schooling to succeed, it takes guts.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

A young 13 or 15 year old person in the U.S.A. most likly believes salad comes in a plastic bag. Pizza is either frozen or delivered to your door. If you want to catch a fish you have to use a Mepps spinner. It is up to my generation to help teach the young ones, you can cut up a bunch of lettace and slice a radish to make a nice salad. You can roll out some dough, smear some sauce on it and cut up some meat and veggies, grate your own cheese (yeah, gratted cheese comes in a bag too) and make your own pizza. In addition, we can teach them to use the fly rod and tease a fish to hook with something we made ourselves. The list is endless and our challange to bring meaning to everyday essintals can be memorable. I taught all my children to sail in a small dingy. As I often reminded them "The wind is free". 25 years later they are all sailors and have boats. My greatest pleasure is them thanking me for teaching them when they were young. The same goes for fishing. They all fly fish with vigor and will be teaching their children soon. My greatest thrill will be helping them by providing their children their first fly outfit. Oh boy, I can hardly wait! Oh yeah, it will cost them a home made pizza.

Not exactly along the same lines, but...We did a D-Day Anniversary jump into St Mere Eglise, France when I was serving with the 2/508 Parachute Infantry Regiment. We were greated by grateful French people (who lived through the war) and a bunch of elderly Americans. We had a young Buck Sergeant that had just received his Senior Parachutist wings and was very proud of them. One of the elderly Americans came up to him and shook his hand and casually mentioned that he, too, had been a paratrooper. Our young Sergeant then told the Elderly Gentleman that he had completed 50 some parachute jumps, "How many did you make?" The elderly gent explained that he'd only made 9 jumps in his career. Five in jump school and..pulled aside his jacket to show his parachutists badge with 4 gold starts for four WWII combat jumps. Our young Sergeant, his ego somewhat deflated, listeneed with the rest of us as our new found friend spent a great afternoon talking about "the old days".
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Marco,
    Ture or not, its a great story. And growing up we also walked to school and back, uphill both ways. While it is important to remember the accomplishments of the generation before us it is also worth mentioning and ackowledging the generation to follow.

We've heard stories about ohiotuber's daughters generosity as well as other children. Mt daughter teaches inner city school children for a pittence. This youner generation, if they choose to do something of value, will find themselves working for 1980's wages with 21st century expenses. Housing is difficult to afford, here in the northeast the only unbuilt on land is marginal. Those who choose to farm are not able to.(In the 80's our town had 12 dairy farms now it has none). I as sure that when they reach maturity or become seniors they will be telling similar stories to their younger generation. Frankly I think this younger generation is pretty darned fine (arrogant young p**ks excluded).

ps thanks for the story!

jed

+ Reply to Thread